Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear drums too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Rear drums too tight?

I've just replaced my rear drums and shoes and all the assorted springs as well. The existing self adjusters were pretty clean, so I cleaned them further and lubricated the threads as well as the inserts on the opposite end. I adjusted them as I have others in the past with a slight bit of drag, and with the rear on stands the brakes wouldn't stop the rear wheels with the car in drive at idle. This didn't seem right to me so I used the adjuster wheel until I could bring the wheels to a stop at idle. After driving around for about 15 mins I can smell the brakes when I get out and my brakes are pretty hot. My question is this, is this just happening because of the new drums and shoes or should the rear brakes not be able to stop the wheels when idling in drive?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 AM

hi.
to adjust the rear drums correctly, you can use this method if you vant.

put the rear drum brake on, so the shoes dont hit the drum. when the wheel spinns free, jack up the car and put on jack stands. take the handbrake 2 click up, and then adjust the brakes from the backside of the drum.when its getting heavier to turn the adjusting wheel then stop, and do it on the other side. and when you have done this on both sides losen the parking brake when it still on the jack stands, and the wheel should still spinn free.

Last edited by jeep94Norway; 08-28-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I've never adjusted drum brakes to the point they will hold the tires from spinning in idle on jack stands. That, to me, would be unnecessary drag. You'd be constantly fighting the rear brakes which is going to most certainly destroy your fuel economy and create excessive heat. Everyone has their own methods I suppose but I've always had good luck with a slight drag. By that I mean I would adjust the shoes to where I can only get about one revolution (and no more) out of the rear tire when I spin it before the drag stops it. I also always use my e-brake when I park. If the self-adjuster is working properly, this will keep your brakes in adjustment longer. Check rear brake adjustment when doing your oil change. You'll know when they need to be adjusted when you feel the brake pedal traveling further to achieve the same stopping power as before.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

To clarify, I meant to say I adjusted the brakes to where I could stop the rear wheels when I applied the brake, not so tight that the wheels wouldn't turn at idle with the brakes not applied. I cannot get a full revolution out of the wheel but I can move it by hand. I'll loosen them up a bit. Thanks.