Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Cargo area protection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear Cargo area protection?

Since I use my XJ for some "family" vacations as well as offroad to go fishing, I was wondering if there are any products out there that protect the carpet in the rear of the jeep WITH THE REAR SEAT FOLDED DOWN....

I have seen a slew of products for the cargo area with the seat up...that is not what I am looking for.

I like to carry my inflatable pontoon boat back there and need to fold the rear seat down to put the 'toons in without fully deflating, and I would like to protect the back of the seat from the moisture, mud, etc..., that can still be on my 'toons after a day on the water.

My GF wont put her luggage back there (or herself for that matter...camping purposes to clarify) if it is muddy / dirty.

Suggestions other than a standard tarp?

Last edited by erhetta; 08-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Year: 1997

The only thing I can think of is to make a liner yourself out of canvas or something. Fabric stores have duck cloth (pretty heavy duty canvas) and it's cheap if you catch a sale. Some place like Jo-Ann fabrics. That way you can customize it and take it out and wash it. If you do it right, you could use it for a canopy extended from the hatch of your Cherokee.

I haven't seen anything for sale doing what you want.

What I'm talking about would be pretty easy to sew since it's mostly a big square. Let me know if you are interested and I'll talk to my GF and see what she would charge to sew it. i have a 97 Cherokee so it will definitely fit correctly.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by erhetta

My GF wont put her luggage back there (or herself for that matter...camping purposes to clarify) if it is muddy / dirty.
Get a new GF, if she won't put her luggage in your XJ, you don't need her. Get a dog, they ***** less!!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Get a new GF, if she won't put her luggage in your XJ, you don't need her. Get a dog, they ***** less!!
Yeah but that damned barking drives a guy nuts. Any dog that can cook though is a real find!!! Make sure that they get a fresh flea collar every three months and you are golden.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Yeah but that damned barking drives a guy nuts. Any dog that can cook though is a real find!!! Make sure that they get a fresh flea collar every three months and you are golden.
Thats great!!!

Have thought about ripping the carpet otu and Bed lining it. Then you could clean at easy!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Older Than You

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a heavy duty (Pac.Bell) tarp that I keep in the back at all times, it's folded up until I need it. I can use/cover whatever size/area I need at the time. I cover my gear when the trail is dusty and cover the bed when wet/muddy. Works great.