Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Aux Power / Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Aux Power / Lighting

I've been considering placing some aux power in the back of the truck, but unsure if there is existing wiring or not supporting this. Would also like some lights that back there as well supporting camping and riding activities with the family. Any one tapped into factory wiring or ran their own?

Currently in the process of removing the carpeting for a more rugged flooring and sound suppression while going down the road and would like to tackle this job at the same time. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I would say if you have it ripped apart inside run new wiring back, do you're homework on the correct gauge wire, protection devices, and relays for your application, run the wire from the battery, through the firewall, under the side floor trim (the stuff that runs along the floor and the doors) and that should get you to the back hatch, do what you will once you have it ran, personally I would run a fused heavy gauge back there and create a distribution box you can tap into for all the rear needs, and keep the relays there at that box. Hope that gives you at least some ideas!