Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ratcheting sound when I brake hard

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242 6Cyl 4.0
Default Ratcheting sound when I brake hard

I just had a couple brake lines replaced and since I got the vehicle back it's been making a strange ratcheting noise when I brake hard (meaning lots of forward body roll) or when I hit a bump that causes the front driver side wheel to travel a bit I get the same noise but it's just a short sound
the ratcheting sound decreases in frequency with speed, and to me it sounds like it's clicking every 1/4 turn of the wheels
it sounds like it's coming from under the dash

I'm sure it's not related to the brakes, only that it makes the noise when I brake hard or hit a bump or dip in the road and it happened after the guys at Pep Boys had all my wheels off and replaced a couple brake lines etc.

I have no idea what this could be . . . any ideas?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Does your vehicle have ABS? if it does I would say you have an ABS problem, or perhaps a small amount of air in the lines. could also be wheel bearings. is your check engine light on?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 AM

no check engine light, no ABS, and there shouldn't be any air in the lines since they flushed and bled the lines when they installed them

it seems to be related to how much the front suspension is compressed because it only happens when I hit a dip in the road or if I'm braking hard enough to make the vehicle tip forward
I wouldn't think it would be wheel bearings or else I'd hear it all the time
Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM

anyone else have thoughts on this?
think it's okay to keep driving?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Year: 2001

Pull the wheels off & inspect everything ... Were the calipers pulled off ?
it could be a number of things brake pads loose moving back & forth caliber bolts not tight wheels not tight ????
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

I have the exact same issue, and it doesn't seem to be a part of the Troubleshooting section of the Haynes manual. I wasn't sure if it was a broken spring or something similar, but when I looked, everything seems to be intact. I am stumped as to what could be causing it, but I recently replaced the rr brake line. The lines were bled completely (all four) and the sound really does seem to occur mostly when braking hard or hitting a forward dip. It sounds a bit metallic in tone, but I can't seem to find anything that makes that sound when banged about.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check all you rsteering components like the track bar and tie rods.And this may sound stupid but make sure you lug nuts are tight beleive me it happens
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM

I've been thinking about this some more . . . does the speedometer in a '93 have a cable?
it's the only thing I could think of that might be causing the sound . . . maybe when the guys were working on the brakes they nudged the speedo cable and it binds up when the suspension is compressed or the weight shifts forward etc

where might I find a diagram of where the dash mechanical parts are?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM

figured it out and I'm a bit miffed
they installed the new brake line too close to the front driveshaft
Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

take it to them and let them worry bout it then... thats what i would have done in the first place...
Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

I'd be reaming someone a new a$$hole!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by backstept
figured it out and I'm a bit miffed they installed the new brake line too close to the front driveshaft
If only my issue were that easy - I did the brake line myself, and it's off to the side where it should be. That and I have not had to use 4WD in a while. I think the speedometer is electronic in '93, but my Haynes manual for some reason sees fit to omit any information regarding the speedo in any way whatsoever.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM

well, they're going to fix it
I didn't get upset or pushy with them, sure I'm annoyed that they screwed up, but I understand that they see a lot of vehicles every day, and people get lazy etc
I'm sure the mechanic that originally did the job will get a reprimand or whatever happens when they screw up, so I think the worst thing I could have done would be to pick a fight

I'm glad I didn't just let it go, because it could have eventually failed really bad and caused an accident or something
and no, I'm not in the habit of 'letting things go'
Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by backstept
well, they're going to fix it
I didn't get upset or pushy with them, sure I'm annoyed that they screwed up, but I understand that they see a lot of vehicles every day, and people get lazy etc
I'm sure the mechanic that originally did the job will get a reprimand or whatever happens when they screw up, so I think the worst thing I could have done would be to pick a fight

I'm glad I didn't just let it go, because it could have eventually failed really bad and caused an accident or something
and no, I'm not in the habit of 'letting things go'

yeah he probly wont get anything... i worked at nissan and if one of us did something stupid... we just got called stupid... actually i was re-installing a brake caliper after pads once and flips the caliper so the line swisted and pinched... didnt know it till the customer got on the brakes for the first time down the road and it pulled to the right and stopped... lol... i just got cussed out and was good to go... oh and had to fix it courtesy of my labor time... that was the stupidest thing ive done... heck my buddy left a new titan on the alignment rack which normally sites flat... got set down on a block so he got out like normal and it rolled backwards with the door open so it caught and flipped backwards on the lift... yeah that ones getting pulled from his pay check every months... lol...imagine the customers face huh? that week was real bad... down the road ford dropped car off the lift on a brand new guy on his first day... almost killed him... air lifted him out and it messed him up good for life... yeah not a good week... more bad stuff happened that week actually but ive gotten into enough for the night... lol