Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Random no start, possible CKP issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Random no start, possible CKP issue

So I have put about 3k miles on this jeep since purchase it in March and just recently have developed a seemingly random no start when it is cold after sitting overnight, if I try again after a couple hours it will fire right off and run without issue. No codes showing, and when it doesn't start I am not getting spark. I am looking for a little more information on the CKP circuit. I am getting 5v at the orange wire as I am supposed to, but I am also getting 5v at the CKP signal wire with the sensor plugged in, from what I read it is supposed to pull to ground with the key on engine off, I am wondering if it is the PCM that takes it to ground, or the sensor itself? The center wire which is the sensor ground has continuity to battery ground with the key off, but when the key is turned on it loses continuity and has .025mv. I am not 100% on the function of this circuit, is that the way it supposed to function? Any help is appreciated!