Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

random dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default random dying

Hey everybody. I'm new to the automobile world and I lost my virginity to my 96 Cherokee classic. As far as I know everything on it is stock. It ran great for the first few months that I had it and then one day.......the story begins.

I was driving down the highway with cruise on and I felt my xj jump. I looked down and my rpms were nearly at zero. When I would push on the gas it wouldn't register. When I was nearly stopped, it jumped again and started driving normal again. About ten minutes later it died completely, however it would start up again, only to die a few blocks down. I looked around for some answers and found out about the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, and replaced them both. No change. Replaced fuel pump and filter, no change. Decided I would take it to the mechanic. Charged me 200$ to tell me he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Its been about two months now and now when it dies it won't start back up. It has to rest for a few days before it will. Then it will run fine for about 30 minutes, only to die again.

Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? I've been thinking the pcm but I don't want to just throw more money at it. I bought it for 800 and have already spent that trying to get it working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not real good with automobiles, I have a few friends that are, but if anyone can point us in the right direction, you would be a savior!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

When it won't start back up, check to see what's missing- spark or fuel. We'll have some direction to go in then.
Check spark by removing a spark plug, plugging the wire back in and laying it on the valve cover so the shell is grounded. Crank and watch the plug for spark.
Fuel is best checked with a pressure gauge, also listen and feel the injectors to see if they are operating. You should hear/feel a clicking.
Is the Check engine light on? Any codes stored? (most parts places will scan for free)