Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ran out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Unhappy ran out of ideas

i have replaced just about everything i can think could be realted to this problem and still no change. i've replaced cps,coil,fuel pump,filter,distr. cap,plugs and wires. and this thing still dies. But only at running temp 210ish or on a 55+ day around 180-200ish If any one can PLEASE HELP cause I'm just flat out of ideas at this point
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

gotta be a sensor problem, did you change any sensors like map ?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM

other than the cps i haven't changed any sensors cause i don't know where to start
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 PM

You have a sensor located on your intake manifold that senses your temp, and three on your throttle body. take them out and clean them worth a shot.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chrkee313
You have a sensor located on your intake manifold that senses your temp, and three on your throttle body. take them out and clean them worth a shot.
i'll give that a shot tommorrow weather permitting.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM

what do you mean dies? give me the story on it
Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 PM

anytime i start it, it starts kinda rough like 2 maybe even three cranks then it will start up. it idles fine oil pressure is around 40-50. and it'll sit fine until the temp gets around 210 then it just stalls out and won't start back up until it cools back down. during the summer months sometimes it would talk all day but now being the winter only a couple hours sometimes less and again take 2-3 cranks and idles fine
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

could be the camshaft position sensor in the distibutor when they get hot they stop working
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

When it dies out, what have you tested?

Have you tested the fuel pressure (ill get into this in a minute as i know you have a new pump) after or as it dies?

Have you checked for spark after it dies?

Are there any tests you have done when/right after it dies?

Start with the easy stuff, something is not in the mix (or not in it correctly). Fuel, air, or spark.

I worked on a bonneville once, ran like a champ up until everything got warm, then it would shut down. Wait a while, and bam she would start back up like nothing was wrong, stealership replaced some sensors and garbage, but never checked when it was stalled out to see what the heck was ACTUALLY wrong.

Turned out it was losing fuel pressure......changed fuel pump....well same problem would occur.....what the heck right?

The cause was a poor ground for the pump........the wiring would heat up after use, and as most know, heat in wiring=more resistance. More resistance=less amperage flow to the component. End result in this was a broken circuit (after heated up) to the FP causing the car to die.

So what could have been an easy re grounding turned out to be a nasty week long adventure that cost an arm and a leg.

Lesson learned, if the vehicle is dies and wont start, do the testing during that period. What you will find will most likely run you into the right direction, and dont forget to check the simple things such as wires.

If it can happen on a pump, Im sure it can happen on any wire, so if youre messing with sensors or anything of that sort, dont be afraid to check the resistance and continuity during that "kill point".

Keep testing and ruling stuff out as you go....you will get there sooner than later that way, dont overlook the small things and just toss parts at it, you may spend some unneeded cash/time that way.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM

well i don't have a presure gauge to actually check the exact pressure all i've been able to do was press the schruader valve and when the car is on but not running it will spray out but after the car dies and you turn the car back on not running you might get a slight dribble if anything, but it still has spark
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93OkIeXJ
well i don't have a presure gauge to actually check the exact pressure all i've been able to do was press the schruader valve and when the car is on but not running it will spray out but after the car dies and you turn the car back on not running you might get a slight dribble if anything, but it still has spark
I would go to the local parts store (like advance they rent) and get one (pressure gauge) or rent one, I am pretty sure they are fairly inexpensive to buy.

At the very least, if you had it hooked up BEFORE/WHEN it dies and watch that gauge, you will either see something out of order, or that its good to go.

Again I would say at this point the more you rule out, the better off you are.

With that example I used, it still had pressure when it would die out....just not enough to run. So it did have some power to the pump, but not enough....It was VERY visible on that gauge though.

Its at least worth checking!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM

i'll definitly check that when the wether final straightens out i'm just at a point were i don't know where to go with this and i'm looking for a little direction
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93OkIeXJ
i'll definitly check that when the wether final straightens out i'm just at a point were i don't know where to go with this and i'm looking for a little direction
I understand where youre coming from....

Sucks when stuff goes wrong, its not constant, and its cold (at least here) lol.

Again the more you rule out, tightens up the directions you CAN go. If you test enough there will only be so many things left that it could possibly be...

Even if that test ruled it down to a SYSTEM that would be better than where youre sitting...as I am sure you already know.

Hope that helped out a little bit, or at least got you thinking in a new pattern.

When you find out more, post it back up on here...there should be enough heads to get it figured out!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

Oxygen sensor? Ground? Distributor? ECU?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

It is temp related. I vote coolant temp sensor

Quick Reply: ran out of ideas