Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

radio question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default radio question.

so i installed a radio in a 97 cherokee and only the rear spearkers work in the jeep.

i did buy a harness so i did not cut the factory wires it was a plug and play way.

i swapped out spearkers and still nothing in the front. the only thing that i do have that is spliced into is the black wire that goes to the old radio i guess ( its black and a female spade type connector that has AMP written on it)

i tryied making the rears speakers work with the front speakers and still nothing.

i know i can run my own wires and it will work but im trying to keep this jeep AS STOCK as possible. untill i do the system in it.

any-thoughts.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0 L

You could cut into the wires before the go through the door boot. I bet that is where they are broken at.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mayko
so i installed a radio in a 97 cherokee and only the rear spearkers work in the jeep.

i did buy a harness so i did not cut the factory wires it was a plug and play way.

i swapped out spearkers and still nothing in the front. the only thing that i do have that is spliced into is the black wire that goes to the old radio i guess ( its black and a female spade type connector that has AMP written on it)

i tryied making the rears speakers work with the front speakers and still nothing.

i know i can run my own wires and it will work but im trying to keep this jeep AS STOCK as possible. untill i do the system in it.

any-thoughts.
Ok...new speakers, new head unit, tried splicing into rears. I'd guess that the harness has a short (on the old harness, not new one). But you spliced rears, how exactly? There is no specific fuse, so that's out. So did you check wiring down by feet into doors? Jeep wiring is not known to be the most awesome...
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

i looked at the wires on the speaker a

solid green and a black/red wire then i took the kick panel out and traced it to the plugs and i could not fine the black/red i did find a brw/red wire .

what i did to splice was i jumped the purple wires from the fact harness side to the white wires and still nada.

i guess i will have to do a rewire on this and try to keep is clean and factory.