Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radio/gauge problems with my XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 OHV 12V
Default Radio/gauge problems with my XJ

So I just bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport and the factory radio didn't work, it will illuminate when the head lights are on but nothing else. I checked the radio fuse (#17 - 15A) in the junction box among others with a test light and it had power. So lastnight I decided the factory head unit was probably bad so I pulled it to install a cd player, that's when I discovered that someone had cut the 12V constant (Pink) and the 12V switched (red and white) on the harness side and spliced them together, after scratching my head for a sec I undid the splice and crimped them back onto the radio connector and plugged it up... no power to the radio. I checked the 12V switched (red and white) and it had power with ignition on like it should but the 12V constant (Pink) had nothing. Also I noticed once I undid the splice that none of my gauges or odometer worked. So for now I wired the splice back like it was and the odometer and gauges work again, I could run new power for the radio but I wanna trace down and fix the problem. Is there a fuse somewhere that supplies both the gauges and the 12V constant to the radio? Anybody have a clue whats going on here?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 OHV 12V

UPDATE: So last night when I got home I noticed the illumination lights for the power door/windows were still on after I turned the ignition off (never happened before, that I know of) so I undid the splice again. Now all gauges work and the 12V constant to the radio has power, I'm thinking I have a short somewhere and I'd like to trace it down but I'm not sure were to start. Also yesterday morning my check engine light came on. last week it came on then stared flashing, engine ran rough and I had the codes read: P0300, P0302, P0304 all misfire codes but after a day of driving the check engine light went off and I haven't had a problem with a misfire since. Could all this be related to a wire short, bad ground, or something else?! This is my first Jeep (or Chrysler product for that matter) any input would be greatly appreciated