Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radio and cigarette outlet doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Radio and cigarette outlet doesn't work!

I have a 1996 xj and when I bought it, there was an aftermarket radio in it. Whenever I plug in my car charger in the radio turns off. When I unplug it, the radio turns back on but no sound comes out. I'm not very handy when it comes to electronics, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would definitely be a plus also!! Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Illmagicc
I have a 1996 xj and when I bought it, there was an aftermarket radio in it. Whenever I plug in my car charger in the radio turns off. When I unplug it, the radio turns back on but no sound comes out. I'm not very handy when it comes to electronics, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would definitely be a plus also!! Thanks
Either the cig outlet or your charger is causing a short, hence shutting down the radio. Best bet is to install an auxilliary power outlet, or to replace the factory one.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like they tapped into the Cig lighter wiring. There is only so many amps you are going to be able to pull through that wire. There might not be enough amperage to run both the Radio and Cig lighter. Your best bet is to pull the radio and trace the wires and redo it with a correct pig tail but if you are not good at electronics there is no one on this board that can help you with your issue over the internet. Either find someone that is good and have then help you or go to an audio installer to have them redo it correctly. Best of luck.