Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiators ?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiators ?

So i am runnin a bit hot did the thermostat and i am already aware that my radiator is a little shot i am curious about the brand champion obviously i am on a bit of a budget (or becool or something of that nature would already be purchased) but i am wondering who is reliable as far as aftermarket and is also going to be relatively affordable any info helps thanks guys !
Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I have the champion radiator the all aluminium 2 row its great my jeep now runs at the thermostat temp even the days when its over 100 it still runs cool
Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by tech
I have the champion radiator the all aluminium 2 row its great my jeep now runs at the thermostat temp even the days when its over 100 it still runs cool
I am little lost on the difference between 2 and 3 row how did the instal go ?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Only2Doors
I am little lost on the difference between 2 and 3 row how did the instal go ?

Single row is on the left. Two row on the right. Three and four are below. As you can see, the more rows you have, the smaller the passages are.

There's a lot of disagreement about what's best. My take on it is that you generally want the thickest radiator that will fit with the fewest number of rows. Right now I have a CSF three row radiator in mine, but it's a lot thicker than stock to give it more surface area for cooling. It has done a fine job so far. The Champion two row radiator is also thicker than stock.

If I had to do it again (or if the CSF has to be replaced) I would go with the Mopar heavy duty radiator, which is single row but 5/8" thicker than stock. With the bigger passages, it will be less likely to get clogged up, but it will still have the greater surface area for better cooling.

If you buy one of these thicker radiators, be sure your motor mounts are in good shape or, better yet, replace them. Since the performance radiators are thicker, the mechanical fan is closer. If you have bad motor mounts that allow your engine to move too much, your fan can contact the radiator and ruin it. People have installed these things and destroyed them the first time out on the trail because their motor mounts let the engine flop around too much.

Last edited by extrashaky; 08-21-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 PM

Thanks !
Old 08-22-2017, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

The champion all aluminium radiator has two rows and each row is almost 1 inch wide . the pictures of the 2, 3 and 4 row radiators are copper brass radiators the picture of the 1 row radiator is a picture of aluminium radiator . the tubes in a aluminium radiator are larger then in a copper brass radiator . the champion all aluminium radiator has a 2 row core that is 2 inches thick . the radiator installs the same as the oem radiator . I had no problems with the install . It does hold more coolant than the oem radiator .