Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator / Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Radiator / Water Pump

ok, so long story short i was driving home and looking behind me before changing lanes i realized i was giving off a trail of smoke. right after i noticed the smoke a check gauges light came on in my dash.

there was a mile to the next exit so i took it slow and tried to make it there but the car started this extremely high pitch wistle. i can best describe it as when water boils in a tea pot. so i pulled over immediatly and the car was smoking an incredible amount.

the tempeture gauge did not indicate an over heat or anything. once it stopped smoking enough for me to open the hood i noticed there was coolant every where.

im assuming my water pump or radiator burst but im not sure, i had the car towed to my house because im a broke college student.. any ideas what would cause this and what im looking at to get it repaired? thanks for any help!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

fill you system back up. wash everything off with the garden hose. and btw shake your jeep when filling because its not uncomon to get a nasty air lock. after you have it full start it up let it idle and set back and watch for the leak. you will see it if its extremely bad. first tho check and make sure there is no coolant in your oil. then post back and let us know what you found
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Chances are you blew a hose. possibly a radiator. the squealing was coolant on the belt. fill the system with water(unless you like wasting money having coolant go everywhere), check for leaks. then once you find the leak, drain the water out, fix the leak, and refill with coolant.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:21 PM

had a mechanic look at it just to diagnose it. he says its the freeze plugs, one of them blew and hit my exhaust manifold. doesnt sound good, anyone know what causes this and how tough of a fix it is?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

rotten freeze plugs and replace with new ones