Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator ready to blow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Radiator ready to blow?

It happened on my last radiator....and I ended up with a cracked cylinder head. Stupid plastic tank thing cracked and left me on freeway in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot summer day (5 years ago). This newer radiator is only 5 years old and I was tightening my serpentine belt and found this disconcerting sight under the upper radiator hose. Holy F*** I really don't want to have to replace this, BUT, I am going to death valley this weekend and I really don't want to have issues.

It honestly does not look too bad to me, and the other side (by the power steering pump) looks just fine.....which is why I'm posting for a better opinion.

Give me your 2 cents on how bad this looks if anybody is familiar with these plastic endcap tank thingies.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator ready to blow?-img_1975.jpg   Radiator ready to blow?-img_1969.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 03:29 PM

I understand that its hard to tell from pics alone.

Maybe I could "reinforce" it with an epoxy or something? Otherwise I can get a $185 mopar radiator from the dealership, I just have to order it soon.

Honestly I would not be worried if it weren't for the "invisible" crack in the last radiator I had that led to overheating and then cracked the cylinder head.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Blackcherokee290
I understand that its hard to tell from pics alone.

Maybe I could "reinforce" it with an epoxy or something? Otherwise I can get a $185 mopar radiator from the dealership, I just have to order it soon.

Honestly I would not be worried if it weren't for the "invisible" crack in the last radiator I had that led to overheating and then cracked the cylinder head.
No way to ever know for sure. If you want to be sure, swap it. 90 bucks(autozone) plus coolant for piece of mind. If you want to chance it well...

I wouldn't pay for the dealership, it's nothing special. You can get a good one local and lifetime warranty. If the next one cracks you can get a free one.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
No way to ever know for sure. If you want to be sure, swap it. 90 bucks(autozone) plus coolant for piece of mind. If you want to chance it well...

I wouldn't pay for the dealership, it's nothing special. You can get a good one local and lifetime warranty. If the next one cracks you can get a free one.

Thanks, I never thought auto zone would have that, and if they did I thought they would be a POS. But the reviews are not terrible and I'm a broke college student so every dollar counts. Plus they honor the lifetime warranty no questions asked.

Heres the autozone link for $102:
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...2/#tab-reviews
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Thanks, I never thought auto zone would have that, and if they did I thought they would be a POS. But the reviews are not terrible and I'm a broke college student so every dollar counts. Plus they honor the lifetime warranty no questions asked.

Heres the autozone link for $102:
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...2/#tab-reviews
Yeah, it's been a few years, but 102 seems fair. I try to avoid them for some parts but the radiator I got there has been great.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 AM

Yeah, it's been a few years, but 102 seems fair. I try to avoid them for some parts but the radiator I got there has been great.

Okay cool. I'll run to autozone tomorrow morning and pick it up. Im also going to replace the waterpump since its got 166k on the original, but I'm grabbing the new NAPA flowcooler waterpump for $40. Figured it'll never be easier to replace the water pump than when the radiator is out. I'll report back with how it all goes. Cliché I know but any advice for a 1st timer to do radiator and water pump? I'm reasonably skilled mechanically, just low on money LOL.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Okay cool. I'll run to autozone tomorrow morning and pick it up. Im also going to replace the waterpump since its got 166k on the original, but I'm grabbing the new NAPA flowcooler waterpump for $40. Figured it'll never be easier to replace the water pump than when the radiator is out. I'll report back with how it all goes. Cliché I know but any advice for a 1st timer to do radiator and water pump? I'm reasonably skilled mechanically, just low on money LOL.
Might as well do your thermostat aswell.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:44 AM

Engine: I6 4.0

Coming from someone who just did the whole coolant system on my 00. The quick disconnect for the transmission cooling line will be a b*tch. And be careful not to damage the the new fitting on the new radiator. Even the slightest nick will cause the quick disconnect go not fit properly and you will leak ATF fluid. Which is nasty stuff.
here's a picture of the fittings

Its that little silver looking piece below the main line.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Engine: 4.0 I-6

I would highly recommend a dealer water pump if they have one in stock. A napa or AZ one will crap out in 2 or 3 years. Factory ones will go 10-15 no problem, and its only $65 where I'm at.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The AutoZone radiators are not a bad choice my son and I both run them without any problems plus they have a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:37 PM

Son of a B****!!! The NAPA water pump is a standard (and the FSM says it needs a R rotation but I trusted the computer). Pulled the water pump just now and theres a big ole "R" stamped on the OEM impeller. Anyway called NAPA and they are like "I dunno, theres no other part number". So yea, they close soon and I gotta find a part #. Is this a common issue?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 PM

UPDATE:

Okay so I installed a water pump from mopar since it was the only one that was stamped R. Also replaced the thermostat (some mechanic put in a 160F one!!!!) and got a new belt. Anyways, for all the others out there, watch out for NAPA pumps because they might sell you a standard pump instead of the reverse (like the FSM says, and like my actual OEM pump says)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Default Thanks everyone!

Okay thanks everyone for your advice and tips. The new radiator, thermostat, belt, and water pump all seem to be working well. Didnt plan on doing a complete overhall but feels good having it all done right. Now i can enjoy the trip.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you will be much happier going that route.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

No way to ever know for sure. If you want to be sure, swap it. 90 bucks(autozone) plus coolant for piece of mind.

That sounds bloody.

Oh, well. Since he's done the complete overhaul, now he can have peace of mind.

Good info about the NAPA pumps.

Quick Reply: Radiator ready to blow?