Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator oil line fittings

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Radiator oil line fittings

I am in the middle of a radiator swap and have gotten to the point where I need to disconnect the trans oil cooling lines. There are two, one at the top which was held on with a threaded fitting and a nut, and one at the bottom of the radiator which doesnt seem to screw off in anyway??? Do I just pull the hose off and plug it back onto the new radiator with a new fitting?
Attached Thumbnails Radiator oil line fittings-image-26586615.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

it should hook on like a fuel line, use a GM fuel line disconnect tool and it should pop off
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 liter 6 cylinder

that looks like a quick connect fitting, use a the right size quick connect tool to remove it, i had to replace that hose on mine, i just went back with the proper rubber hose and double clamped it on each end.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0
Default third option

I know I am new here but I just went through this. I had to cut the rubber line where it meets the metal portion of the radiator. The rad that I got had what looked like a bent inlet line that threaded into the new radiator and then I ended up clamping the old line on the bent inlet line firm. No leaks and that is what the directions said to do. Seemed odd but there was no other way to do it. I hope this helps. Matty
Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Okay well I don't have any fuel line tools on hand and can't really go anywhere since my jeep is down. So, Should I be able to cut the hose and clamp it directly to THIS fitting on the new rad?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 PM

This one
Attached Thumbnails Radiator oil line fittings-image-3718697486.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

There are four prongs inside the fitting that need to be pressed in. Some guys have had success with using a small flat blade screwdriver to gently press the tangs in one at a time.

Mine was a royal pain even with the fuel line tool. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

you can always take a hose clamp (the screw down type) and make it the size of the inside metal fitting, then just press in in there while pressing the two pieces towrard each other. works pretty good, done it a couple times before i discovered the fuel line disconnect tool
Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Alright I'll give those a shot before I take my razor to it
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Thats it............just put it on finger tight though as you might have to adjust it when you get the rad in. After that you can tighten it but remember there is a O ring in there and you dont want to crush it. I just put the rad in. Made sure it was in correct and snug where it needs to be, connected the line and clamped it down with a hose clamp. Then after making sure it was safe and no conflict with the lower radiator hose or the other body housings I just snugged up the fitting up on the rad. No problems. I hope it works out for you. Matty
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Well I ended up cutting it at the base of the metal connector and clamped it to the fitting on the rad haven't turned it on to check for leaks yet but it seems pretty secure. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM

No problem. Just remembet there is a O ring in there so dont overtighten it and crush it. Later, Matty
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Where do I find that part? I've ordered 3 different parts because that inline atf connector had a hole in it. I've looked online and at autozone/oriely and they're not the right size even though it said it would fit.

Originally Posted by atteburyc
This one
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by saville22
Where do I find that part? I've ordered 3 different parts because that inline atf connector had a hole in it. I've looked online and at autozone/oriely and they're not the right size even though it said it would fit.
Are you referring to the tool? If so:

I got mine from Harbor Freight, however any auto parts store will have them. They are not special. Here's a link.https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-96834.html

My guess is yours is probably full of crud, and stopping the tool from working properly. This happened to me the first time I removed it. Spray some WD40 in ther to loosen it up and then try the tool.

If you are referring to the fitting itself, I would prbably cut it off like other have and replace with a sutible hose and hose clamp(s).
Old 05-15-2018, 05:43 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by jpz
Are you referring to the tool? If so:

I got mine from Harbor Freight, however any auto parts store will have them. They are not special. Here's a link.https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-96834.html

My guess is yours is probably full of crud, and stopping the tool from working properly. This happened to me the first time I removed it. Spray some WD40 in ther to loosen it up and then try the tool.

If you are referring to the fitting itself, I would prbably cut it off like other have and replace with a sutible hose and hose clamp(s).

Im talking about the L shaped fitting that screws into the bottom atf in line. I can't find the part that fits that. Every part I order is too small, or too big to even screw in.

Quick Reply: Radiator oil line fittings