Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator not fully filled with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiator not fully filled with coolant

So I recently did a coolant flush. I took off the lower radiator hose and flushed the radiator with a garden hose. I reattached the lower hose and filled the radiator with 4 quarts of coolant before it started to overflow. I drove the jeep around for a few days and before each drive I tried to top it off. I have only managed to get about 3 more courts (7 quarts total counting the coolant in resevoir). I know that the capacity is much higher than this; I don' know why I can't fill it more.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2017, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by mattheww97
So I recently did a coolant flush. I took off the lower radiator hose and flushed the radiator with a garden hose. I reattached the lower hose and filled the radiator with 4 quarts of coolant before it started to overflow. I drove the jeep around for a few days and before each drive I tried to top it off. I have only managed to get about 3 more courts (7 quarts total counting the coolant in resevoir). I know that the capacity is much higher than this; I don' know why I can't fill it more.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks guys!
Can't say for sure, but it seems like a gallon and three quarters could be about right?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Is the radiator full when you take the cap off after it has been sitting for awhile? When you do a coolant flush you can't really get all of the water out of the block if you don't pull the block drain plug so it won't take as much to fill up.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Since the block is filled with water after a flush, if you refill the system with straight coolant you'll end up with ~50:50 mix.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Is the radiator full when you take the cap off after it has been sitting for awhile? When you do a coolant flush you can't really get all of the water out of the block if you don't pull the block drain plug so it won't take as much to fill up.
Yes Still full after it's been sitting for a while. Where is the block drain plug located? That has to be it
Old 10-01-2017, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Since the block is filled with water after a flush, if you refill the system with straight coolant you'll end up with ~50:50 mix.
I've been putting my diluted coolant in it already. Should I drain it again? The other guy mentioned something about a block drain plug. Which I Definitely didn't do.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I think the drain plug is on the driver side of the block but it is hard to get to usually no one pulls the block drain plug when doing a coolant flush ( I never do). You can get one of those cheap coolant testers to see of your coolant is diluted too much.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mattheww97
I've been putting my diluted coolant in it already. Should I drain it again? The other guy mentioned something about a block drain plug. Which I Definitely didn't do.
Easy enough to test it:

The block drain plug may turn into a big deal if it's never been fooled with, I would leave it alone.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Easy enough to test it:

The block drain plug may turn into a big deal if it's never been fooled with, I would leave it alone.
Other than a temp gun, this is probably the next best mechanic's friend other than maybe coolant test strips. Especially when you are working on heavy equipment which hold a LOT of coolant to deal with.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 PM

Easy enough to test it:

So do I just pop the radiator cap and test it? Like I said I flushed it with a garden hose and then put diluted coolant in. Would this be an issue? My coolant looks pretty normal (not like it's getting mixed with water in the system)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Pop the cap, suck it up, voila!