Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator flush advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Radiator flush advice

I read all the treads but now I'm looking for the most up to date information.

WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO FLUSH YOUR RADIATOR AND HEATER CORE AND WITH WHAT CHEMICLES?

Is it the old fashioned powdered dishing detergent method? The control CLP method? The old Prestone standby? NAPA ZEREX? Take it to the carwash and power flush it with the hot soapy water out of the high pressure gun? I don't want rumors or what your grandpa told you! I want REAL WORLD results, something that we might even be able to turn into a sticky!

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

It really depends on how bad the internals look. If it isn't really bad and you just want to clean the system as for your regular maintenance a lot of time just water from the garden hose will do the trick. If it is really bad you will need to ad what ever chemical you are comfortable using. Personally when any of my vehicle need a really good cleaning I just use the Prestone radiator flush and let it sit for a little while. That usually woks the best for me.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

In addition to what Robert said, I'd suggest u flush the 3 components (motor, radiator, heater core) separate from each other. U don't want big lumps of crud being dislodged from the motor (block/head) and plugging small radiator or heater core passages. Remove the top rad hose and heater hose from the stat housing. Remove the bottom rad hose and heater hose from the water pump. Stick a garden hose into one or the other heater hoses and flush. Then stick the garden hose into the top rad hose and flush. Then stick the garden hose into the heater hose nipple on the stat cover and flush.

That's the way my grandpa taught my dad and me (not some goober on Youtube) to flush just about any car/truck cooling system. LOL

Last edited by djb383; 04-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by djb383
In addition to what Robert said, I'd suggest u flush the 3 components (motor, radiator, heater core) separate from each other. U don't want big lumps of crud being dislodged from the motor (block/head) and plugging small radiator or heater core passages. Remove the top rad hose and heater hose from the stat housing. Remove the bottom rad hose and heater hose from the water pump. Stick a garden hose into one or the other heater hoses and flush. Then stick the garden hose into the top rad hose and flush. Then stick the garden hose into the heater hose nipple on the stat cover and flush.

That's the way my grandpa taught my dad and me (not some goober on Youtube) to flush just about any car/truck cooling system. LOL
You are so right! I should have mentioned to flush them all separately. BTW, My Grandpa didn't teach me that... My grandma did! LOL
Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You are so right! I should have mentioned to flush them all separately. BTW, My Grandpa didn't teach me that... My grandma did! LOL
ROTF,LMAO!