Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiator fittings?

Hope this is the right place for this post. I picked up a rad from the wreaker it's in awesome shape still had part number sticker on it so basically brand new but a 130 dollars cheaper the only thing I am missing off of it is the lower trans cooler fitting the 90 degree one at the bottom. So here's the question been reading a lot of guys change them out for a hose barred style, anyone have any thoughts/info on this would like to k ow how it works and what parts u guys used thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Can't tell you the thread size you'd need but it would work. Aftermarket coolers use the hose barb fittings.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

You could just leave it and get a transmission cooler that already has the barbed lines. There's only a piece of pipe inside that rad as a transcooler and the AW4 gets pretty hot.

I think the size of the rad fitting is 1/4" NPT. I think that because I don't remember having any issue replacing mine. I could be wrong. Fittings are cheap so give it a try!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

Found the fitting I needed it is a invert male flare to a sae -6 the real pain in the butt is trying to go from the -6 sae to a hose barb since I want a 90 degree to keep the hoses away from stuff. I ended up talking to to the rad shop my company uses he says he has something g that will work and hopefully will drop it off this week. Should be a 90 degree swivel for clearance issues. The reason I am doing this is to keep the trans fluid at engine temp. My understanding is you place the trans cooler inline before the rad the air to oil cooler disaplates the heat the the fluid/oil goes through the rad to warm it to correct temp for transmission for proper operations . Thats how it was explained to me by a few people