Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quick Wiring Question:

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Quick Wiring Question:

-I have run a direct power source, thru the fire wall & into a Block Distributor making it easy to power up whatevers needed.
-Now i want to do the same with the ignition switch so that some of my accessories will only come on when the key is turned. Ofcourse i wanna pick a wire & run it into a block distributor for future use.

-Anyone know where i can tap into one, one thats easy to find??? (i have the chilton book but am confused!)
Thanks!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Question

Anyone??? (sorry if its a dumb ques!)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee

The easiest one I found to go with is the radio on/off signal wire. Pull your dash and tap into that one. In the old cherokees it might be purple with orange stripe. In new ones it may be a different colour, possibly solid red. best check with a volt meter or something to be sure you get the right one though.

Alternate option is to check your fuse block for any that switch on/off as well - these fuses wont get energised without the key turned on. Im not in front of a diagram at the moment so I cannot direct you to the correct ones, but ones to try would be things labeled similar to power accessories, etc. If you find one, you can use a little metal tab to share this fuse slot. Make sure you use the line side of the fuse though, so it is protected by the fuse and not just bypassing it.

HOWEVER. By doing this, you are drawing all that power for these devices through a circuit designed only for a minimal amount of power. You best be looking into setting up a relay for this, depending on how much power you plan to be using.

Last edited by Squiggy; 05-10-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic

I tapped off the lighter power circuit since this is activated by the ignition switch. However, like stated above, this only powers the switch. From there I go under the hood to relays which are powered directly from the battery.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 PM

-Yeah, i have a direct power source under the dash coming off the battery basicaly with beefy inline fuses & distribution blocks,, but for the ignition i wanna stay clear of tapping into the fuse pannel under the dash in any way as its been tapped enough!!

-Maybe ill run a seperate wire from the fuses under the hood to a distribution block under the dash & see how that works out...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

i wouild run a seperate wire from the batter to a second fuse box and operate all accesory with their own or remote switchs
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
i wouild run a seperate wire from the batter to a second fuse box and operate all accesory with their own or remote switchs
I have somethin similar, minus the switch but that doesnt sound like a bad idea since the setup is there.