Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quick Power Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Quick Power Steering Question

So there's a loud rubbing kinda noise coming from the power steering pump, and the pulley is wobbling a little bit.

Is my pulley bad, or do I need to just replace the whole pump?

$50 without reservoir, $75 with reservoir. I'm thinking just replace the damn thing, since the pulley is pressed on.

Is it difficult to put the old reservoir on the new pump?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99

1st thing I'd do is check all the bolts and make sure the pump and support brackets are tight. Make sure the fluid is good as well (if you haven't).

If it's tight, I'd say the pump is wore out.... The pulley is pressed on and will have to be removed so it can be reinstalled on the new pump (most parts stores will change the pulley out for you) If it was me I'd go ahead and get the new reservoir with the new pump.... The reservoir has a tendency to get brittle over time and the return hose nipple on the back is susceptible to breaking. Also sometimes when reusing a reservoir you'll get a small leak were the pump and reservoir snap together. If you do decide to reuse the reservoir, it's easy to swap out... There's only 2 clips to be slid off and tapped back on.....
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Yea everything seems tight, and there's fluid.

thanks, I'll probaly just replace it all, since its over 200k and has never had it replaced. Wouldn't want to replace one piece and then the rest breaks.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99

Cool, When you go to change it be sure to hit the pressure hose fitting ,where it goes into the pump and the top of the nut where it surrounds the hard line, good with PB Blaster (Kroil is better if you can find it) to loosen up that fitting. Take your time getting it off as they can freeze up and cause you to kink the metal portion of your pressure line when trying to loosen the nut. Don't sweat it though if it kinks.... Pressure hoses for the 4.0 are reasonably cheap at about 17 bucks....

As a side note: Be sure to check all the bolts once you remove the belt as well! The tension from the belt can make it all feel tight but if they're loose you'll be able to really tell when that tension is gone.

Last edited by HighRoller; 01-30-2011 at 11:59 AM.