Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

questions about installing a overhead console in a 95 sport.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default questions about installing a overhead console in a 95 sport.

ok so i have a 95 sport and i would like to put a overhead console in the jeep. i dont like how i can only turn on my overhead lights when i open my doors and i think it would just make the interior look better.

so i have located a overhead console. the guy told me he just unscrewed the console and cut the wires. i saw pics of the console and he left the plugs on the console. he said i may have to run wires... can i just use the wires already run for the two overhead lights? do i have to cut up my headliner panel to do this? do i need any special mounting brackets? is this like a plug and play type thing?

any links or tips from someone who has done this would be much appreciated.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

your overhead lights work, took me a while to figure this out, just turn the headlight switch all the way to the counterclockwise. it should click and boom you have light. but you may have already knew that.
now for the overhead console, it may just connect right up. the same wiring harness was used in all trim levels on our jeeps. So lets say one model was made with a hood light, the wiring will still be there on all of them so all you'll need is the actual part
Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Yes, this can be done. My overhead console's lights come on when the door opens but I do have control of 4 lights while driving.

Try to make sure your years line up. I installed a 91 console in my 96 and I might as well have rewired the thing. You may need a couple books or wiring diagrams to figure it out, but I was able to get all my info off this forum or NAXJA. This simply cannot be "plug and play" as you ask because you don't have the wiring! This will take a bit of work, but if you're good at reading diagrams, you should be OK. Just make sure to wire it up before you cut the headliner to ensure you can make it work. My advice is to go to a JY and pull one so that you can get the thermometer, mounting brackets, wiring, etc and also see how it comes out so that on is tons easier. Also, if you go the JY route, you can also pull the visors and get ones with lights and mirrors too. Shoot, you'll think you're driving a Cadillac when all said and done.

If you buy this one though...you WILL have to cut your headliner and you WILL need the mounting brackets. If you want temp, you WILL need the thermometer off the donor's front end. Other than that, I think you'll be in good shape.

Let's see if I can find the Australian's How to...

s

Edit: Here you go. Easy to find. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOverheadConsole.htm

Last edited by smtippin; 05-23-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: link