Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about OBD1 codes

Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Frustrated with code 42

I've got a 96 Jeep Cherokee it's the OBD1 model as the second half of 96 they switched over to obd2 yes, it's OBD1, not 2.

I'll attach the diagram for my relay/fuse box---

My 96 XJ 4x4 4.0L gave me 2 codes after i just finished fixing the Jeep. I replaced the asd fuse and asd relay twice in the past 3 days

I had a blown 30a ASD (Auto Shutdown) Fuse, I replaced the ASD relay as well, and the others. I couldn't figure out why the fuse was blown. My Jeep simply died while driving and wouldn't start back up after that; now knowing that was because the asd fuse blew, which keeps it from starting up.

I am getting a code 42, which is always fun being that it can be literally any of a number of combinations.

42*: An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit. An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit. An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. No movement of fuel level sender detected.

I have brand new relays in my box. I've just replaced them all a few days ago. My 30a fuse (the asd fuse, continues to blow, as it drove fine for a few days, then last night on the way home, it started hesitating to go, then it died and wouldn't start back up....in the fuse box, another 30a fuse, blown)

***INTERESTING TO NOTE******
When putting the key in and turning it forward, as it should you can hear the fuel pump energize and stop. However after replacing the asd fuse, it does the energizing of the fuel pump as it should, then stop, BUT once it starts up, you can squat down next to the Jeep and hear it humming, or staying energized; something you've not been able to hear before.

I was told that all the relay's are the same in my fuse box (starter/fuel pump/asd/aux fan/abs system/ac clutch) so they're all the same relay. Hopefully i was not misinformed as I replaced them all with the same relays. If this is NOT correct and someone knows where I can find the information to find the correct ones, I'd appreciate it. Google is not my friend here.

Any help as to what I should look for would be appreciated.

I have a brand new starter (not reman), new alternator (not reman), ignition coil, plugs,wires, dist cap & rotor as well as Cam Sensor and CPS (ALL were put in yesterday & today and are all Mopar, as I got my yearly bonus and I now have new parts and will be keeping all the ones I've replaced)

My fuel pump/pressure regulator are a part of my fuel sending unit; which is in my gas tank.

96 4x4 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Automatic

--the picture is of what mine looks like, but it is not my actual fuse/relay box, it is the same and the pencil is pointing at the 30a ASD fuse that blows more than a hooker on a friday night.

--Jessica

96 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L Automatic Relay & fuse box under the hood

Last edited by doostica; 11-02-2017 at 02:03 PM.