Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about motor

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Question about motor

I have a 4.0L engine that's been sitting in my garage for about 4 years. It had just over 100K miles on it when I put it there and I haven't done anything to it other than take off the accessories and inspect under the valve cover. I'm now thinking about putting this into a vehicle I have without rebuilding it first (orginal plan was to rebuild it for another Jeep) and I'd like to start rotating the crank. But before I attempt this should I try to prep the engine in any way? I was thinking about squirting some oil in the sprark plug holes, maybe prime the oil pump, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Other than typical gaskets and seals (and I will be replacing the valve seals) is there anything else I should do to the engine before I install it? Thinking about putting new freeze plugs in it, but it's current ones look good- don't know if it's worth fooling with them...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally speaking, i would do all the things that are a PITA to do when its in. water pump, crank seals, oil pan, valve cover and timing cover gaskets, all freeze plugs. (they may look good on the outside)
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Most everything being bolted to the engine will be new- valve cover, oil pan, wp, accessory brackes, Intake & Exhaust manifolds, sensors. I may even go as far to pull each rod cap off and check the gap since that should be easy to do with the pan off and engine on the stand. Just not looking forward to those freeze plugs looks like a real PITA.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you can turn the engine with a socket and ratchet, no need to be concerned.
If you want to be sure, mix from ATF and ACETONE 50/50 and put a tablespoon in each cylinder.
I would expect to replace the Water Pump asap.

I just did similar, I had an old XJ with 128k miles and had sat for 10 years. When we first got it I just added a hot battery and a shot of starting fluid and it fired up. I ran it for a minute off starting fluid to get oil pressure and listen for knocks etc. then it sat for two more years before I decided to do anything with.

I've done that several times in the last 20 years. Engines that are out of the weather typically don't just rust up sitting there. Thus the reason for trying to turn it by hand before you proceed.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had that engine on a stand I would not put it back together without new main and rod bearings unless they were just perfect. I would also put in a new oil pump along with what was said above.
clint