Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about 4wd

Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question about 4wd

I have never driven a 4x4 before. I got the Jeep a couple months ago and have not really used the 4wd function much at all. Just to help out getting up my ramps for oil changes etc.

Today I removed the rear sway bar and decided to go ahead and drive some in four high just to see what it was like. NO I didn't speed down the highway at 50 in 4high I just drove down the little side road at about 10-15 mph turned around and came back. I noticed that the turning radius isn't the same when in 2wd. I have to take turns MUCH wider in 4high.

I know this is probably a real newb question but is that normal?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Yes, it's normal for Jeeps. Don't try to crank it into that tight radius that you're used to when in 2wd, it will feel like it's binding up and put stress on it.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict
I have never driven a 4x4 before. I got the Jeep a couple months ago and have not really used the 4wd function much at all. Just to help out getting up my ramps for oil changes etc.

Today I removed the rear sway bar and decided to go ahead and drive some in four high just to see what it was like. NO I didn't speed down the highway at 50 in 4high I just drove down the little side road at about 10-15 mph turned around and came back. I noticed that the turning radius isn't the same when in 2wd. I have to take turns MUCH wider in 4high.

I know this is probably a real newb question but is that normal?

Thanks!

Yes, this is absolutely normal if you have a normal part-time 4wd system (Command Trac) or have the full time system (Selec-Trac) in part-time mode.

The reason for this (and why you don't want to do it very often) is that it links the front and rear axles together mechanically, forcing them to spin at the same speed. Normally when you turn, the tires on the front axle have to go farther than the rear axle, so they spin faster. In part-time 4wd mode, this isn't allowable, as it's locked directly to the rear axle, so something has to give - normally, it's the static friction between your tires and the surface you are driving on. If you're very unlucky, it will be something else...

The system is designed to give you more traction in low-traction situations, by basically doubling the amount of drive-wheels you would normally have. Fairly low-tech compared to some stuff out there today, but it's strong as all get-out and mechanically simple.
Unfortunitly, in a high-traction situation, you run into this little problem.

Typically, avoid turning on dry pavement when in 4wd part-time. It saves wear on your tires, and other mechanical parts (Driveshafts, axle shafts, UV joints, etc). Wet pavement should be OK, depending on how "Wet" it is. Snowy pavement, Mud, Dirt, Rocks, etc, are all fine - they don't have anywhere near the static friction you get as on dry pavement.

You're not really going to damage anything unless you do very tight turns on dry pavement very often. Moderate turning won't stress it as much, and if you just keep it in 2wd on dry pavement, hey no problems. If you want to play with it and test it out around town, find a dirt road, dirty parking lot, or somewhere where you'd have less traction than normal.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doccers; 10-21-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Helps VERY much. I thought it was probably normal because of the way it locks together but I just wanted to be sure. I didnt go far on pavement and only did a couple turns slow and wide. I just noticed that it tried to bind up when I turned in tighter. It scared the crap out of me when I heard the strange noise while turning.

Thanks a lot!