Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PS pump reservoir replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default PS pump reservoir replacement issues

Ran into a pretty big hiccup replacing my PS pump reservoir tonight. I removed the new reservoir from the new pump and installed it on my old, still good pump (the old pump is less than a year old and I didn't feel like swapping the pulley over to the new one). I kept the two PS lines because they WERE fine. I put everything back together and buttoned it all back up. Its now leaking much harder than before. Specifically the connection between the pump and the reservoir and now the bottom side return hose. I'm gonna pull it all back apart tomorrow and try again, but also replace the hoses. Anyone have any tips for the pump/reservoir seal? It was pretty dark while I was doing it so I probably bungled the o ring.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would say make sure the o-ring is clean and lubricated when you are installing the res to the pump

For the return-side to the reservoir I used a standard worm-drive clamp because the factory one was too worn out and wasn't putting much pressure on the return line. On the steering gear side, I replaced both of my lines which came with new o-rings, but make sure the threads and seating area are free of any debris (in the steering box) otherwise the o-ring might not seal properly.