Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pro's and Con's, XJ Vs. ZJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam
Default Pro's and Con's, XJ Vs. ZJ

This may be the wrong thread for this, but i"m not sure where else to post it and I only have half an hour to post (I'm in Afghanistan).

My XJ's body was destroyed in transit by a freight company and my grandpa signed for it like an idiot.

My dad found a ZJ with a transmission problem for $750. I'm already aware that 75% of the stuff I have on my Cherokee will not carry over (bull bar, lift kit etc etc).

What are the disadvantages of a ZJ? (I will be keeping my engine and transmission+transfer case).
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The transmission. lol
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ZJ is a slightly less reliable than the XJ(more stuff that can break). Other than that, they're basically the same.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Year: 1995 &2000

The lift will change over from your xj to the zj front will swap right in and take your factory front coils from the zj and put in the rear,
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BendXJMan
The ZJ is a slightly less reliable than the XJ(more stuff that can break). Other than that, they're basically the same.
What are some of the things that break?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM

More common to find electrical options on ZJs(windows, locks, etc.). And Jeeps don't have great track records with electrical parts, so they tend to break quite a bit.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BendXJMan
More common to find electrical options on ZJs(windows, locks, etc.). And Jeeps don't have great track records with electrical parts, so they tend to break quite a bit.
I had a limited cherokee with all of the electrical options anyways. I actually had to remove numerous fuses in it because they were acting up everytime I hit a bump. This would save me troubleshooting that.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
What are the disadvantages of a ZJ?
XJ...ZJ...Ya pays your money and ya takes your pick.

The ZJ's are a bit more street oriented, the interiors are more car-like IMHO, but still entirely capable offroad.
The XJ's were designed for function first, seem to have better aftermarket parts support and can be built into absolute crushers if you are so inclined.
I'm partial to most of **** Teague's designs...the XJ included. It's a timeless classic. But that's a subjective thing. For 99% of the owners who drive mostly on-road with some weekend trail riding, either one is a good choice. I don't think either is more/less reliable under those conditions.

Both have infamous Chrysler electronics, unless you really go back in time with the XJ and get the infamous AMC electronics, lol.

ps: if the bull bar is for sale...let's talk.

Last edited by Radi; 05-23-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi

The ZJ's are a bit more street oriented, the interiors are more car-like IMHO, but still entirely capable offroad.
The XJ's were designed for function first, seem to have better aftermarket parts support and can be built into absolute crushers if you are so inclined.
I'm partial to most of **** Teague's designs...the XJ included. It's a timeless classic. But that's a subjective thing. For 99% of the owners who drive mostly on-road with some weekend trail riding, either one is a good choice. I don't think either is more/less reliable under those conditions.

Both have infamous Chrysler electronics, unless you really go back in time with the XJ and get the infamous AMC electronics, lol.

I read that it is possible to convert the Bull Bar to the ZJ. If it turns out to be too much I'll message you.

Something major I left out was that this ZJ has a V8. Anyone familiar with mounting an I6 in a V8's engine bay? I know some people put V8's in their cherokee so I would think it's possible, but I don't know if there is a kit that comes with mounts that makes it possible. I would doubt there is such a thing for converting a V8 to I6.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM

Engine: 4.0l

There so heavy i wouldn't want the i 6 that's why i found mine with the v8.

Pro's and Con's, XJ Vs. ZJ-image-4232531157.jpg

There both mine got to say I like them both. Sell of parts from your xj build your zj that's what I'm going to do!

Last edited by xjbeans; 05-23-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

dont forget that the zjs have cv joints on the axle shafts. my buddy had a v8 zj and it was constantly breaking them. the viscous coupler in the transfer case is crap. i sat in it and i personally didnt like it.

putting the I6 in a zj should be easy. i mean, zjs came with I6's and V8's so its a matter of swapping everything.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jakbob
dont forget that the zjs have cv joints on the axle shafts. my buddy had a v8 zj and it was constantly breaking them. the viscous coupler in the transfer case is crap. i sat in it and i personally didnt like it.

putting the I6 in a zj should be easy. i mean, zjs came with I6's and V8's so its a matter of swapping everything.
Now that you mention that I'm definitely swapping over the axles as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Radi

Hey now, I have the AMC and its mainly Chevrolet and Ford parts. Way better and easier to upgrade than Chrysler. Lol
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

ZJs don't have any more electrical problems than an XJ. The weak point of the ZJ is the transmission/transfercase depending on what t-case it has. If you have an NP249 (most common with the V8), then you may have problems with the viscous coupler. Not all ZJs have CV front axles, only the NP249 equiped ZJs have CV axles. Most of the front suspension on a ZJ is exactly like an XJ. The good things about the ZJ are you have less wind noise, more comfort, more room, easier to get in and out of, larger cooling system, and rear disc brakes on 94 and newer models. A ZJ can go anywhere an XJ will go, they work very very well off road. The down side of a ZJ would be less aftermarket support for bumpers and stuff like that, low pinion front axle, and no choice of rear axles without some fab work. Most ZJs on the market were adult owned and never abused or hacked up. A ZJ is a good choice if you're into trail riding and some moderate wheeling, but they can be built to do some hardcore stuff.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by Bustedback
ZJs don't have any more electrical problems than an XJ. The weak point of the ZJ is the transmission/transfercase depending on what t-case it has. If you have an NP249 (most common with the V8), then you may have problems with the viscous coupler. Not all ZJs have CV front axles, only the NP249 equiped ZJs have CV axles. Most of the front suspension on a ZJ is exactly like an XJ. The good things about the ZJ are you have less wind noise, more comfort, more room, easier to get in and out of, larger cooling system, and rear disc brakes on 94 and newer models. A ZJ can go anywhere an XJ will go, they work very very well off road. The down side of a ZJ would be less aftermarket support for bumpers and stuff like that, low pinion front axle, and no choice of rear axles without some fab work. Most ZJs on the market were adult owned and never abused or hacked up. A ZJ is a good choice if you're into trail riding and some moderate wheeling, but they can be built to do some hardcore stuff.
Agreed. I forgot to mention my only experience was with a v8. To commando, you will only be able to put in the front axle. Rear is coil.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's, XJ Vs. ZJ