Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

problems with 95 xj auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default problems with 95 xj auto transmission

Im knew to the site and got a question got a 95 xj with the auto transmission and np231 tranfer case. Couple months ago had a old 2 track road sluff off and I went for alittle ride to say the lease. I ended up in the bottom of nasty canyon. I maniged to get out but snapped all 6 motor mount bracket bolts off in the block on both sides and cracked the exhaust manifold and no longer have a fan shroud prety lucky thats all that broke but those bolts were a mf to get out. Anyways after I got all that fixed my trany functions fine when driving in normal driving condition and minor off roading no slipping, shifts fine. But now when I get in some steep inclines it kicks out of gear olmost like it goes into neutral. If I hold in the brake for a few seconds it kicks back in then kicks out at soon as i give it gas. Anyone know what it could be?? never did it before gots me stumped.maybe torque converter? Hell i dont know. Thanks for your help.

The fluids all are good. first thing I checked
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7

WOW!!! That was one heck of an impact to break off both engine mounts. If you still have stock drive shafts and no lift, could the engine and transmission have slid back so far on the drive shaft to impact internal transmission parts and cause damage? Did the engine come back and hit the fire wall? Maybe the 231 transfer case input shaft will protect the transmission output shaft. Just throwing out ideas.