Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

prepping block for head gasket, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default prepping block for head gasket, advice?

i currently have my head out for rebuilding and resurfacing etc etc. meanwhile that is happening, i wanted to prep my block and get it cleaned up. i currently have coolant in 2 cyl's, not much but enough. crud here and there. how should i clean it? anything i would need to know? i got a head set which includes all the new bolts for the head plus new gaskets (thermostat, intake, exhaust, head and valve cover). should i do anything with the crud that is on the inside of the cyl's?

also curious on how you guys removed the head when it comes to the intake and exhaust manifolds. did you remove the head complete with the intake and exhaust manifolds by unbolting the 3 bolts under the car? or did you removed the head by its self? i removed the head by disconnecting both manifolds and taking the head out by itself. but one bolt which i think was the second to the back one took me like 2 hours to get. im thinking of taking the manifolds out of the car completely now and installing the manifolds onto the head out of the car then go in one shot. ????