Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Prep for road trip/adventure

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Prep for road trip/adventure

So I daily drive a 260+ mile 96 xj. Me and the wife are planning some day trips and outings and will be taking my Jeep on a few and her jk on a few. What are some good tips and or extra supplies for trips in high mileage vehicles.

​​​​​​Maintanace in my XJ is always done. Oil change 3k all fluids change and inspected. Brakes are always looked over as well as common ware items.

​​​​​Am I missing anything or just go and see what happens? Only worried because I the high mileage the xj has never left us stranded. Even on 8 hour drives through the mountains out of the PHX heat and back down.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

It really depends on which sensors have been changed and which haven't?

TPS, CPS, IAC? Distributor and sensor, ignition coil? Plugs and wires? All those things could leave you stranded.

Then you have the water pump, fan clutch, steering pump, alternator, and AC compressor - they could bind up, throw the belt and leave you stranded. Not to mention cooling system parts like hoses and radiator that could leak and overheat.

that's not even talking ujoints, wheel bearings, and ball joints. If they are original, they are ready to quit.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by OldTires
It really depends on which sensors have been changed and which haven't?

TPS, CPS, IAC? Distributor and sensor, ignition coil? Plugs and wires? All those things could leave you stranded.

Then you have the water pump, fan clutch, steering pump, alternator, and AC compressor - they could bind up, throw the belt and leave you stranded. Not to mention cooling system parts like hoses and radiator that could leak and overheat.

that's not even talking ujoints, wheel bearings, and ball joints. If they are original, they are ready to quit.
out of all that the only thing that hasn't been changed is the distributor and the alt. brand new front end and cooling system. new belt and brakes.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by Prerunner2
out of all that the only thing that hasn't been changed is the distributor and the alt. brand new front end and cooling system. new belt and brakes.
Then I would inspect the distributor, ignition coil and alternator. I had to change them in the last 2 years as they were original - the alt. seized up, the ignition coil was cracked, and the distributor was squeaking a lot. I have also changed the AC compressor, water pump, and steering pump (the bearings were making mucho noise). If any component in the belt drive is making noise, it's going to go at any time. Listen to them with a mechanics stethoscope and take off the belt and turn every pulley by hand - if they feel smooth, don't wobble and are quiet, then they have more life in them. In June I was going down to the Jersey shore and the day before the trip the steering pump bearings got really loud all the time. It was so loud I could hear it while driving. Even though I didn't want to do it, I changed the steering pump the day before my trip. It was on a Sunday and the job sucked, but I didn't want to risk it.

Ten years ago, when I first bought my XJ with 74,000 on it, I took it from NY to WA, CA and back. About 10,000 miles in about 6 weeks. I only changed the hoses, water pump and tires before the trip. The Jeep did great.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldTires
Then I would inspect the distributor, ignition coil and alternator. I had to change them in the last 2 years as they were original - the alt. seized up, the ignition coil was cracked, and the distributor was squeaking a lot. I have also changed the AC compressor, water pump, and steering pump (the bearings were making mucho noise). If any component in the belt drive is making noise, it's going to go at any time. Listen to them with a mechanics stethoscope and take off the belt and turn every pulley by hand - if they feel smooth, don't wobble and are quiet, then they have more life in them. In June I was going down to the Jersey shore and the day before the trip the steering pump bearings got really loud all the time. It was so loud I could hear it while driving. Even though I didn't want to do it, I changed the steering pump the day before my trip. It was on a Sunday and the job sucked, but I didn't want to risk it.

Ten years ago, when I first bought my XJ with 74,000 on it, I took it from NY to WA, CA and back. About 10,000 miles in about 6 weeks. I only changed the hoses, water pump and tires before the trip. The Jeep did great.

​​I wish I can trust my rig like that. Something is making it run hot. Mechanics say it's a heat soak issue. But just this Friday I actually went I the red so going back to get it look at...