Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pre 98 OEM tow hooks installed on a 98

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pre 98 OEM tow hooks installed on a 98

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been covered. I ran a search and got similar topics but nothing that really answered this specifically.

Has anyone pulled OEM front tow hooks off an 84-96 and successfully installed them onto a 98?

I am hoping I can go to the JY and find some tow hooks to put on my 98. I dont mind a little bit of simple bumper modifications... But I would like to keep a relatively clean look. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Did it to mine. The holes on the frame side of the bracket line up fine. The bumper on the other hand mounts differently. The 84-96 ones bolt on front and bottom while the 97+ ones are top and bottom.You can make it work but making it look nice could be a little harder. I don't have end caps so it was no problem. You will have to drill a few holes in the bumper.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Hooks are all the same. But they will not install without the bumper brackets made for the hooks. There is a bracket welded to the bumper bracket and a large strap that goes back to a hole through the frame that takes a large bolt. This is essential to install right, or you will rip apart the front of your XJ when trying to pull it with improperly attached hooks. Getting the hooks at the jy might be easy. But getting the brackets off is another matter. You need to remove the three bumper bracket bolts. 14mm I believe. Then the large strap bolt further back. Theoretically it is not that bad of a job. But try it on the gravel with rusted bolts etc. So bring some liquid wrench spray. The bumper and the brackets will off come off as one. Then remove the bracket from the bumper. This takes monster torx head socket. Same as on your non-hook bumper. I was looking at a 99 in the jy today. All the front end stuff was gone, so holes for the the hook brackets were clearly visible. And identical to my 96 that I just installed hooks on last week. So, don't leave the jy without the brackets! Or having the hooks will do you no good.

Last edited by HappyTrails; 02-17-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
Hooks are all the same. But they will not install without the bumper brackets made for the hooks. There is a bracket welded to the bumper bracket and a large strap that goes back to a hole through the frame that takes a large bolt. This is essential to install right, or you will rip apart the front of your XJ when trying to pull it with improperly attached hooks. Getting the hooks at the jy might be easy. But getting the brackets off is another matter. You need to remove the three bumper bracket bolts. 14mm I believe. Then the large strap bolt further back. Theoretically it is not that bad of a job. But try it on the gravel with rusted bolts etc. So bring some liquid wrench spray. The bumper and the brackets will off come off as one. Then remove the bracket from the bumper. This takes monster torx head socket. Same as on your non-hook bumper. I was looking at a 99 in the jy today. All the front end stuff was gone, so holes for the the hook brackets were clearly visible. And identical to my 96 that I just installed hooks on last week. So, don't leave the jy without the brackets! Or having the hooks will do you no good.

Great info! Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

I did this on my previous XJ. The older style have an extra bracket (for mounting the bumper, that doesn't line up with your 97+ bumper holes) welded on the tow hook brackets. On the newer XJ's, this bracket is separate and just bolts on top of the tow hook brackets. You can just cut that bad boy off the old school ones with a sawzall or angle grinder then use your 97
+ brackets on top of the tow hook mounts and mount it up to your 97+.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by phletch
Did it to mine. The holes on the frame side of the bracket line up fine. The bumper on the other hand mounts differently. The 84-96 ones bolt on front and bottom while the 97+ ones are top and bottom.You can make it work but making it look nice could be a little harder. I don't have end caps so it was no problem. You will have to drill a few holes in the bumper.
Also great info. Thanks. You guys will have me getting people unstuck in no time!