Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

power/windows/front speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default power/windows/front speakers not working

hello all. about a month ago i got stuck in some snow in a deep ditch. as i was yanked out, my power windows and front driver's side speaker went out. i pulled off the door panel to check the connections and nothing seemed loose or disconnected. i traced them through the door and tried to pull as much of the tape back to see if anything was wrong. also checked all the fuses and they're all good.

my power mirror switch still works and the lock button still works. i'm not sure what else to check?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM

actually, the mirrors and locks aren't working either. just got it back tonight from someone who was fixing some other stuff on it, gonna look into it more when i get the chance. any suggestions would be helpful in the meantime
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

If everything went out, it seems like it'd be a fuse or a wire got snagged somewhere? But if you traced everything and there aren't any breaks, that rules that out. The switches going bad, and the driver's speaker not working are extremely common problems with these things. Did you check the speaker wiring behind the rubber boot in the door jamb?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM

yes I did. oddly there is one speaker wire on each side that is not sealed and taped up like the rest. I don't know if this is normal or someone previously did that. I was hesitant to pull back the tape like covering behind the boot all the way because it seems like the best way to get through it is to cut it and I didn't want to cut any wires accidentally.

it was weird though, the first few days all the lights on the switches would be on and after pressing them a few times they'd eventually go off completely.

seems like a fuse to me but I checked every fuse that had anything to do with the door or switches but I'll go through them again.