Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power window help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power window help please

I finally got around to registering after years of lurking. This site is great. I am having a problem with my '98 Cherokee sport. All the power windows work fine from their own switches as well as the master switch, except the passenger window. It usually rolls down with it's switch, and would intermitantly fail to roll up with it's switch. It would roll up with the drivers switch (but that doesn't work any longer). Jumping the connector at the passenger side switch rolls the window up or down with no problems. I changed the passenger switch today with a new one and the window rolled down fine but would not go back up with either it's switch or the master switch. Any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Just a thought, could the 2 wires coming from the master switch be cancelling out the window up switch signal from the passenger side? If I unplug the drivers side master switch, will I still have power and ground on the passenger side?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Don't know about a 1998 model, but most power windows I've worked on had most everything going through the master switch. A diagram would be most helpful to check the master switch contacts...
There's an on-line source mentioned here for service info. Try a search.....
Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Just to update this thread, I went out armed with wiring diagrams, test light, and multimeter to attack this problem. I unplugged the drivers door master switch and tried the passenger window with it's new switch. Nothing happened. I replugged the master and tested the pax window and it worked like new. I tried the pax window switch and it worked fine. Problem solved but I have no idea how....
Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 AM

Year: 60th Anniversary
Engine: 4.6

You may have briefly cleaned some contacts or knocked some dirt around inside the switch. If you're brave enough you can remove and disassemble the master switch to clean the contacts. Like steelybill said everything runs through the master before it goes to the individuals. So if there are corroded contacts in the master, you'll get an intermittent issue like this.

I'm glad you went out with a schematic! That's the first thing anyone should do before attempting any electrical repairs. Those things are your life line!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Good you have it working

And yes, all the wiring for the power windows comes from the master switch, so if that one or its connections are bad, most likely you will be unable to roll up-down

Probable when you removed the master switch, cleaned a bit the connections, enough for the window to work, I will recommend you to take some time and clean the connections and apply some sort of dielectric grease in them, just to make sure they stay fresh and good for some more years!