Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Window Broke

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power Window Broke

Anyone who has replaced a driver side power window motor cable Please Help. Its a 1999 XJ 4 door....Any tips?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

I had to take mine apart as it wouldn't go up and down anymore, it was pretty simple but it has been awhile. Are you trying to replace the whole motor assembly or the cable? To get the whole thing out start by taking off your door panel. There should be two bolts to remove that connect to the actual window. Then the motor itself should have a couple bolts that go through the door that will have slits so you can just loosen them slightly and slide the motor up and through the holes. Its hard for me to remember exactly but there may be another bolt to remove somewhere but when you get to this point it will be pretty self explanatory. Just remember how the whole thing slides out (its pretty long with the cable) and slide the new one in the same way. I suggest (if you can still hear motor working) to attempt to fix your old one. I got mine out and took it apart which all it really is a motor with a spiral cable going through it, and the cable attaches to the window on one end and the slack runs into a blue plastic tube when the window is down to keep dirt and other things out. I took the motor apart and pulled the cable out, cleaned everything with brake clean, spraying everything with lithium grease, and put it back together. Works like a charm now.I don't know exactly what your problem is but you may also have a broke plastic piece that goes on the end of the cable to attach to actual window. There is a cheap fix you can find on eBay that is a metal replacement to this small plastic piece that tends to break. If your trying to just replace the cable then I suppose its possible your plastic piece did break that connects it to the window, because if it did then when you push the window down button the cable will not stop feeding through the motor and will eventually come out the other end where it runs through the blue plastic tube. To get it back in you just need to have the door panel electrical connections connected and push the window up button while trying to feed it back through, and of course replace that broken plastic piece. Sorry if I am bad at explaining things.

Last edited by ziegler.1289; 10-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

As indicated above there could be several things causing this problem.

On my Cherokee ( and two of the three I attempted to get at the JY ) it was a broken plastic tube down near the motor. If this is your issue and you are lucky enough to finde one intact at the JY becareful. The plastic is just too weak where it connects in near the motor. Once I got a good one I reinforced the joint with J-B Weld. I think it is the torque of the motor that breaks this tube the spiral cable runs inside.

Also...Once you complete the repair make sure you keep the vertical window guide felts lubricated. When these get dry it tends to add to the torque problem as the window sticks as it goes up and down.

Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 AM

I think its that small plastic peice ...Thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Ziegler's post is a good fix.

Here's another perspective along the same lines found when one of mine broke:

http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP12001

link to detail of repair (also in above link): http://www.steigerperformance.com/do...tructionsD.pdf

Last edited by g36pilot; 10-28-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added link to detailed pictorial/text PDF of the repair
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks G36