Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power steering pump change or flush?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power steering pump change or flush?

So it's been damn cold here. Around 0 to 5 below every morning. I had a small power steering leak just a few drops on the coldest nights. Didn't think too much about it. Went out two days ago and no power steering. Checked the fluid and it was frozen. After just a minute or so of warming up it was fine. Whining but working. Same thing this morning. Was thinking if just doing a flush on the fluid but do you think my power steering pump just needs to go ahead and be replaced?

Last edited by frantic29; 01-03-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

you could try a flush... but it sounds like there might already be some damage..
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Year: 1996

Went ahead and decided to change it. I went out and started it up again and the first 30 seconds it sounded like garbage disposal. Figured I may as well change it now where I can go back in and warm up whenever I want rather then waiting and having to do it on the side of the road somewhere. Its seems to be a pretty easy job anyway. Only took about 15 minutes to get it off.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by frantic29
Went ahead and decided to change it. I went out and started it up again and the first 30 seconds it sounded like garbage disposal. Figured I may as well change it now where I can go back in and warm up whenever I want rather then waiting and having to do it on the side of the road somewhere. Its seems to be a pretty easy job anyway. Only took about 15 minutes to get it off.

Boy, you got that right!

Been there, done that!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

I have a dollar store turkey baster in my tool kit, great for pulling fluid from things like a power steering pump. Your fluid should be thick but not frozen, if frozen you might have some water in it. Add a dollop of gas line anti freeze to get it blended with any water. Use the baster, pull out the old fluid, install new. Later pull out more fluid and add new. Do the exchange half dozen times, should get most of the fluid replenished. You can add a dollop of lucas if you still have a seals leak but too much lucas as it is extra thick. I had a small leak couple years ago. I know lucas is generally an interim fix but it's stopped the leak for two years. Perhaps I got lucky.
Been minus 25 hear for days, no problem with the PS fluid on the jeep, the wifes car was thick and I know there was high probability of water intrusion, did the antifreeze and turkey baster exchange and she's been running smooth on cold starts since. So try a fluid exchange prior to spending a couple hundred on a pump.