Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Seats NO Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power Seats NO Power

Hi all I just 1992, 4door, 4x4, 4.0 auto, 176K Miles, From Georiga!!! Body very clean! No rust on rockers floor has 1 spot on dr side that needs to be fixed. Interior Execlent cond! Everything works ps,pw,over head consel.
3'' Skyjacker lift w/springs,shocks and LCA! 31x10.5 a/t 80%. It has power seats but the previous owner said they quit working about 6 months ago. I replaced the 30amp circut breaker in the # 16 locatation on the fuse panel. No luck. I did get the seats to move by applying 12v directly to the motor. I have searched this fourm and google for similar problems with no luck. Has any one had this happen to them? Both seats @ same time? Sounds like to me that I might have to go on a search for a short

Thanks CF
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

My seats won't go up or down, but they go back and forth. I've reseached on this too. No luck...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 PM

There has to be something. I will keep looking and let ya know if I find something can you do the same?
I am going to work on the seats tomorrow after work.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Year: 2000

Yeah, I'll keep looking. My seats are stuck in the highest position they can go. I'm so tall my head hits the ceiling...it sucks. But yeah sounds good. I'll see what I can find to solve our problems.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Try this, it will let you move the seats but it is not a fix to the
"no power " issue.
You will need a 12v power supply like a jumper box. You will also need two prices of wire long enough to reach the connector under the seat. I used about 5 feet of speaker wire.

First disconnect the + wire on the battery.

Then connect your wires (5 feet of speaker wire to the power supply)
Be careful not to touch the two ends together as they are HOT!

Then disconnect the gray connector under the seat that has 6 wires going to it. On that connector you need to get the half of the connector that goes to the motor. It will have six pins. touch the positive wire to one pin and the neg to the pin next to it. This will put power to the motor. You will have to play with the sequence for a while to get the seat to move in the direction you want.

On mine I needed to move the seat back and forth. I found every position first before I got the seat to move backwards. No more knees in my chest!

Now I have to adjust the passenger seat for my gf.
Hope this helps. We still need to find out the reason the seats are not working. And then fix it!!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Has anyone figured out the power seat problem yet?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Year: 1989

Damn! I've got the same problem right not also. Looks like I'll be troubleshooting today.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM

if someone has fixed this problem please share u did it. I am stumped.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by hdhp
Try this, it will let you move the seats but it is not a fix to the
"no power " issue.
You will need a 12v power supply like a jumper box. You will also need two prices of wire long enough to reach the connector under the seat. I used about 5 feet of speaker wire.

First disconnect the + wire on the battery.

Then connect your wires (5 feet of speaker wire to the power supply)
Be careful not to touch the two ends together as they are HOT!

Then disconnect the gray connector under the seat that has 6 wires going to it. On that connector you need to get the half of the connector that goes to the motor. It will have six pins. touch the positive wire to one pin and the neg to the pin next to it. This will put power to the motor. You will have to play with the sequence for a while to get the seat to move in the direction you want.

On mine I needed to move the seat back and forth. I found every position first before I got the seat to move backwards. No more knees in my chest!

Now I have to adjust the passenger seat for my gf.
Hope this helps. We still need to find out the reason the seats are not working. And then fix it!!

Could this work with a normal battery then jumper cables then put wire at teh end of the jumper cable. where is this plug located on the seats?

My driver seat will not move but my pass. side will
Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Neither of my seats work and my rear wiper does not work also.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by hdhp
Hi all I just 1992, 4door, 4x4, 4.0 auto, 176K Miles, From Georiga!!! Body very clean! No rust on rockers floor has 1 spot on dr side that needs to be fixed. Interior Execlent cond! Everything works ps,pw,over head consel.
3'' Skyjacker lift w/springs,shocks and LCA! 31x10.5 a/t 80%. It has power seats but the previous owner said they quit working about 6 months ago. I replaced the 30amp circut breaker in the # 16 locatation on the fuse panel. No luck. I did get the seats to move by applying 12v directly to the motor. I have searched this fourm and google for similar problems with no luck. Has any one had this happen to them? Both seats @ same time? Sounds like to me that I might have to go on a search for a short

Thanks CF
If you have power to the switch and the motors work with direct power it is the switch. It will have to be replaced

If you can't find OEM switches, you can make your own with good Carling two position rocker switches and get your functionality back with good parts installed.

Last edited by 4.3L XJ; 03-06-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM

I used the jumper box method and i can move the seats. No what should i look for when trying to find out why the seats are not working by the switches?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 PM
OAS

Year: 1997

Mine didnt work when i bought my '97.

If i wiggled the switch the right way it would jerk for a second.

My conclusion? Had to be the switch. (right??)

Checked w the dealer, and they said around $200 with the harness and all.

But if its just the SWITCH itself.......................?

Went to the junk yard, found a similar outer switch box.
Popped it off, took it home, unclipped the old switch.....whalla!

$3 fix.

BTW, many GC's have the same outer switch as the C's do.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 PM

Hi,

Was just wondering if a solution was found for this, just bought a 98 XJ and neither front power seats work.

Many Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 PM

My Driver seat in my 1990 quit working and I found one of the wires to have been broken right up front under that plastic cover sautered it back together and she works just as it did before. Since you've been in there already a broken wire would have been noticed but since the motor works i'd think that it's just not recieving the 12v feed

Quick Reply: Power Seats NO Power