Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

power to manual windows help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 4.0 L
Default power to manual windows help?

i want to convert my windows from power to manual cuz all my motors are fried somehow since i got the jeep like this i dont know if it would be cheaper to convert them to manual which i prefer already over power?.. and around how much would it run me? some steps of the process would be super helpful
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1987 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4600 rpm, 224 lb•ft (304 N-m) @ 4000RPM

Originally Posted by reyeskid
i want to convert my windows from power to manual cuz all my motors are fried somehow since i got the jeep like this i dont know if it would be cheaper to convert them to manual which i prefer already over power?.. and around how much would it run me? some steps of the process would be super helpful
too bad your not closer, I have some manual doors Im trying to switch out for power doors..

depending on where you look online & at local yards and how patient you are / willing to wait for the perfect deal - will determine how much it will cost to "change over" your doors.

Ive seen motors at JY starting cost approx $25-50 and then brand new starting at $75 and up.
As far as doors - Ive seen em at the JY starting at about $25-75 and then online starting at $100 & up.

The steps to actually removing and replacing is actually quite simple but the actual process can be a pain in the butt since stuff on a jeep tend to seize up and not want to come off.
I dont remember the "bolt key size" but it rarely works coming off that way the older the vehicle gets, even with a good amount of pb blaster. Most people ive talked to just cut the doors off at the hinge and use "new" hinges.
If take the time to search around the website, you can find several write-ups and how to's on door removals & replacements.

The basics is:
Unhook the wires from the door, Removes the bolts, remove the pins, remove door.

If need to, cap off old wires, shouldnt need to though, unless you just cut the wires since you probably have no plans for putting power back on. But be careful when cutting cause if still want speakers you might cut the wrong wire and then have to re-wire your speakers back thru..

Then add door, add pins, add bolts check for fitment and roll your windows down..

Last edited by DocOrng XJ; 12-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.