Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power loss when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power loss when starting.

So I pulled the XJ out to realign the headlights and fiddle with my low idle problem. It started up and I ran it for about 15 minutes. Shut it off and about 10 minutes later I try to start it and I get one click and everything electric dies, no power at all. Jiggle the cables a bit, power comes back on. Go to start it again, same thing. Took the battery to be tested and guy says it's great.
Here's the kicker. I go to jump it by attaching cables to the terminals and it starts right up. When I remove the cables while it's running it stays running but a small squeal starts from the passenger side of the engine bay area, I haven't tracked it down yet.
It's got a brand new alternator and the terminals look new.
Tomorrow I plan on examining all the wires I can and cleaning the posts and terminals.

2001 4.0 auto.

-Thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Check all the connections again, you shouldn't be able to move the battery connections unless they are loose, if not replaced them with better ones. The squeaky could be from the dist but as you have coil pack I'd be looking at the alt again for possible bad bearing.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

Well I found that the wire going from the alternator to the fuse box had been spliced with a wire that was about a gauge smaller and it was frayed in the smaller section. I pulled the whole thing while dissecting my wire loom. Replaced it with a 4 gauge.

I also replaced the neutral to engine block ground wire with a heavier one since I was in there.

Cleaned all the terminals and posts good.

Started right up!

Still have the squealing sound but more intermittent. I was tracing it with my ear when it was going and I think it's coming from the alternator. Might be a bad bearing in the new alternator. I'll see if it happens again and pull the alternator to have it checked, should have a guarantee on it even though the PO put it on.