Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power locks don't work but power windows do?

Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default Power locks don't work but power windows do?

Just as the title says. I got the car about a month ago, and I've been fixing a ton of stuff on it. Also, I don't have them installed, but I hooked up some dome lights and they don't work either. So everything electrically in my car works except:
- Dome lights (front and rear)
- Power locks
- Courtesy lamps near feet

That's it. Everything else works as far as I know. Here's everything I've fixed or changed in the car in the month of owning it:
- Fluids (Oil, Trans, Rad, etc)
- Oil Filter
- Air Filter
- NSS (Reverse lights weren't working and it was bugging me)
- New hatch struts
- New headlamp switch and harness (one it came with was burnt to *****)
- 4 new 5.25" speakers
- New head unit
- Fuses
- Back brakes
- One new wheel cylinder

I'm probably leaving a ton of stuff out, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have yet to check relays as I don't know how to tell if they're bad. I really love this car so far, and I'm hoping to fix everything on it. It's got a rebuilt engine with maybe 250 miles on it, and the tranny is at about 272k.

Besides the power locks and some lights not working, the only other thing it needs is back shocks, which are super simple. I also have to put in a new harness for the shifter lights since it didn't have one, but it's just a matter of pulling the center console apart :P

I'm going to go to bed after I post this since it's 5am, but I'll check on this thread tomorrow to see if anyone has some idea as to what's going on. Hoping there's some key areas to check so I don't have to trace wires to find out the cause.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: V6 4.0

I did this to mine when my power windows went out, but it might fix your locks as well. You just have to take the switch panel out and solder all of the connections that looked cracked
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Will check that out! I don't know if it'd be that since both doors locks don't work. Will check out a few things I've found that need to be looked at.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Also my door locks don't look like that at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM

Year: 1999 Sport 4x4
Engine: I6

Well my thoughts are maybe the wires in the rubber boot of the door are broken? They are known to do that. These jeeps are KNOWN for having front door speaker problems because the wires snap. I can give more info and find a video if you'd like to know how you do iit. It's really easy. (I thought my wires were broken because I only have one speaker. Turns out all but that one speaker are blown the **** out. So turned out just having to get some new speakers "yeepppie") Also... It's a jeep not a car. Every time someone calls a jeep a car or truck a kitten is killed. So good job man you killed 2 kittens... Lol

-Moose
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM

Year: 1999 Sport 4x4
Engine: I6

Whoops forgot to say I know it's not your speakers, But the wires for other things can snap too. So that's why I suggested this. if you wondered. Hope this helps!

-Moose
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

check the fuse in the cab and PDC in the engine bay, check all the connectors behind the drivers kik\c panel
Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MooseXJ99
Well my thoughts are maybe the wires in the rubber boot of the door are broken? They are known to do that. These jeeps are KNOWN for having front door speaker problems because the wires snap. I can give more info and find a video if you'd like to know how you do iit. It's really easy. (I thought my wires were broken because I only have one speaker. Turns out all but that one speaker are blown the **** out. So turned out just having to get some new speakers "yeepppie") Also... It's a jeep not a car. Every time someone calls a jeep a car or truck a kitten is killed. So good job man you killed 2 kittens... Lol

-Moose
Lol what's funny is I never say my car in person, I always say my jeep. Anyways, speakers work fine since I just put in new ones, but I'll cut into that boot and check it out. If I cut that boot off, what should I do about a new one? Should I just tape the wires up?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 PM

Alright, got everything working. Driver side courtesy lamp was cut, cause it to short the circuit and blow the 20a fuse under the hood. Fixed that up and everything works now, lights and locks.

I've run into a new problem. Every door unlocks except the driver side. The driver side I don't even hear a click in it, and the passenger side clicks, but it doesn't have enough power to move the lock fully, just a little jiggle if you will. Back door unlock and lock fully though. I'm assuming it's a dead actuator in the driver side, and a dying actuator in the passenger side? Let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by SlickXJ
I'll cut into that boot and check it out. If I cut that boot off, what should I do about a new one? Should I just tape the wires up?
Don't cut it, the boot has an integral grommet at either end and just pulls free.

"I really love this car so far, and I'm hoping to fix everything on it."

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your chance.
(as long as you don't run out of money first)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM

Year: 1998

Every door unlocks except the driver side. The driver side I don't even hear a click in it, and the passenger side clicks, but it doesn't have enough power to move the lock fully, just a little jiggle if you will. Back door unlock and lock fully though. I'm assuming it's a dead actuator in the driver side, and a dying actuator in the passenger side? Let me know what you guys think.
I'd agree. My drivers door was intermittent and you could it hear trying to cycle everytime. Guessing gears inside were semi stripped. Replaced it with one from the junk yard and saved some dough. I believe 93-98 are all the same. Even from Grand Cherokee too.

The passenger side may not be bad. Check the rods connecting the actuator to the thumb latch on the door panel. It may be binding and causing the rod to not slide smoothly. If you thinks it's binding up, try bending the rod a bit.

Dean
Old 07-27-2014, 10:35 PM

My nearest junk yard is 30 minutes away, as well as costing $2 to get in. By the time I go through all that, I might as well just order a new one for $5. Thanks for the idea though. I'll check the actuators when I get a chance.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Year: 1998

My nearest junk yard is 30 minutes away, as well as costing $2 to get in. By the time I go through all that, I might as well just order a new one for $5. Thanks for the idea though. I'll check the actuators when I get a chance.
Where can you buy the lock mechanism and actuator for $5?

Dean
Old 07-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Lots of places, namely ebay. I wouldn't buy mine from ebay, I'd prefer a more reputable place, but many people have success with actuators from ebay. There's one specifically thats like $25 for a set of 4 universal actuators. Shipping and all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power locks don't work but power windows do?