Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Door Locks work and then they don't...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Power Door Locks work and then they don't...

Okay guys, I have a little gremlin in my XJ. I have had window issue. The other windows can the rolled down but only by the drive door switch. So I read it was most likely the master switch. I ordered one and got it coming. Well, in that time the door locks started acting a bit quacky. Sometimes you can lock/unlock the doors through power actuating them via powering them either by the fob or button in the jeep. And then nothing...you can press the fob or switch as many time you want nothing happens....other than you can hear a little "click" on the front passenger side door switch.
Now the new master switch came in and I installed it...everything work. So I had thought. It started doing it again. and now the windows are acting up again.
Could this by something shorting out the switch? (if it was shorted out it would be fried, not work) At this point I and grasping at straws. I have now ordered another switch hoping that I received a dud.

Anyone have ANY insight on this????

Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 PM

Year: 2000

I've got the same problem with all the same symptoms. I read somewhere that the most likely culprit is broken wires in the drivers door wire harness where the harness comes out of the door and goes into the body.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:47 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have the same issue. So maybe it is a combo between the switch and the wires in the door??