Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Post Check Valve Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Post Check Valve Replacement Issues

I don't know if anyone else that had to replace their fuel check valve has experienced this, but it might be something to take note of as if it happened to me, it could happen to others and may have. To answer the question before it gets asked, the fuel pressure at the rail after the install was normal, not excessive and the new check valve has been functioning ok.

First, this is about the '98 XJ which currently has 210,000 on it.

The check valve hasn't worked properly for a while now. I recently installed the SUR&R CKV5 inline valve which solved the starting problem. No issues here. What started happening shortly thereafter was nothing less than infuriating, to say the least.

I started noticing smelling gas and at first thought maybe I didn't tighten up one of the compression fittings enough on the valve. Nope, that wasn't the problem. I had a leaking injector. I have every reason to believe that the injectors were originals and I have had no reason to mess with the fuel rail or injectors since I have owned this XJ (I'm not the original owner). First, I replaced the o-rings on the leaking injector. Then another started leaking and another over a period of days. One, number 3, actually started spraying fuel out of the injector body just below the electrical connector port. One started leaking despite having the o-rings replaced just a couple days earlier.

End result is that I have replaced all 6 injectors, an expense I didn't anticipate having to deal with right now. The injectors are working just fine and the fuel is staying where it belongs, not on my engine. Only two haven't started leaking, but I decided to replace all of them because if 4 of them started having problems, I didn't want to take the chance on the rest and the XJ going up in flames. Also, I got tired of taking the throttle linkage and fuel rail off and on and off and on.

I cannot explain exactly why this happened, but it did. The old o-rings were not very supple when removed and that wasn't surprising considering the age of the XJ and how many miles it has gone, but for most of them to fail and not to like the new o-rings plus the one catastrophic failure was just a big surprise and a big problem. I'm relating this to y'all in the hopes of saving someone the aggravation and danger of it happening to them.