Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Possible fuel related?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Possible fuel related?

ok first off let me share what I am deal with
1997 Cherokee Sport 4wd with 4.0
was driving on friday most of the afternoon everything seemed to be fine untill i was going down the highway and all of a sudden the blower on the a/c started going on and off then finally went off but everything else seemed to be fine so i decided to just roll down the windows and continue my drive, I drove about 20 miles further stopped and killed it left the jeep sitting for about 10 minutes came back and the engine would crank over but would not start. Puzzled by this i started checking the basics made sure I had spark and hit the check valve on the fuel rail to see if i had pressure and both were good well after 30 minutes the jeep finally started. I drove it another 15 miles then it died and so began the process of checking the same issues again everything seemed fine but looking at my fuel level which was at 1/8th of a tank and it being 101 degree's outside i figured it might be a vaporizing issue so once it started after another 30 minutes i got it to a gas station and filled the tank. i shut it off of course and it restarted i did this several times before leaving the gas station and everything seemed fine till 5 miles down the road sitting at a light again it died well i played the waiting game again and fired it up and was able to drive 30 miles home but holding the brake pedal and keeping the rpms up at stop lights. I have never had this issue before with this jeep and has been rather reliable until this month. Now my question is would the blower motor have anything that possibly could be tied into this like does it reside on the same circuit possibly? any and all help is highly appreciated
Old 08-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one has any ideas??
Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I think I would be looking at electronics or electrical, you stated that the fan blower started switching on and off before you started having problems with the engine dieing and not starting then starting. I'm not a electronics guy but I've had problems sort of like this on other rigs that turned out to be bad grounds.