Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Possible alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Possible alternator problem?

Hey all,

I have been having a problem this week with my 2001 sport. I looked down driving and noticed the check gauges light and my charge light pegged down to the left.

Everything worked fine still electric wise except for the driver side window. Literally the only thing that stopped working. Then I turn it off and everything would be fine again for a few minutes then the light on again.

This morning on the way to work is when it got bad, everything was dimming more and more the radio didn't have enough power to play, and it was running rough. By the time I got in, I couldn't even read the mileage it dimmed so bad. I killed it and it wouldn't start again.

So my first thought was alternator, but I opened up the hood and found that my battery cables were corroded really bad, I have an alternator ready to go at the part store across the street, but I 'm hoping I can clean up the cables and solve the problem. If I have to I will change out the alt here in the parking lot of work.

Anyone run across a similar problem?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

I would clean the battery cable clamps and battery posts first before changing the alternator. Make sure they are super clean.

Also, check the electrical connectors on the alternator for corrosion and the battery ground connections on the fender and on the engine for corrosion.

If you have a battery that has caps on top to check the fluid level, pull the caps and check the level. The fluid should be above the top of the plates.

If your battery is over three years old it may be due change. Batteries are only good for three to five years.

Get a voltmeter to check the charging system voltage when you get the engine running again. Check the voltage at the battery terminals. Look for the alternator charging the battery at approximately 13-14 volts.

If you need to jump start the battery to get the engine started here's the procedures:

JUMP STARTING PROCEDURE

DO NOT JUMP START A FROZEN BATTERY, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT. DO NOT JUMP START WHEN MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERY INDICATOR DOT IS YELLOW OR BRIGHT COLOR. DO NOT JUMP START A VEHICLE WHEN THE BATTERY FLUID IS BELOW THE TOP OF LEAD PLATES. DO NOT ALLOW JUMPER CABLE CLAMPS TO TOUCH EACH OTHER WHEN CONNECTED TO A BOOSTER SOURCE. DO NOT USE OPEN FLAME NEAR BATTERY. REMOVE METALLIC JEWELRY WORN ON HANDS OR WRISTS TO AVOID INJURY BY ACCIDENTAL ARCING OF BATTERY CURRENT. WHEN USING A HIGH OUTPUT BOOSTING DEVICE, DO NOT ALLOW BATTERY VOLTAGE TO EXCEED 16 VOLTS. REFER TO INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED WITH DEVICE BEING USED.

CAUTION: When using another vehicle as a booster, do not allow vehicles to touch. Electrical systems can be damaged on either vehicle.

TO JUMP START A DISABLED VEHICLE:

(1) Raise hood on disabled vehicle and visually inspect engine compartment for:
  • Battery cable clamp condition, clean if necessary.
  • Frozen battery.
  • Yellow or bright color test indicator, if equipped.
  • Low battery fluid level.
  • Generator drive belt condition and tension.
  • Fuel fumes or leakage, correct if necessary.
CAUTION: If the cause of starting problem on disabled vehicle is severe, damage to booster vehicle charging system can result.

(2) When using another vehicle as a booster source, turn off all accessories, place gear selector in park or neutral, set park brake and operate engine at 1200 rpm.
(3) On disabled vehicle, place gear selector in park or neutral and set park brake. Turn off all accessories.
(4) Connect jumper cables to booster battery. RED clamp to positive terminal (+). BLACK clamp to negative terminal (-). DO NOT allow clamps at opposite end of cables to touch, electrical arc will result.
Review all warnings in this procedure.
(5) On disabled vehicle, connect RED jumper cable clamp to positive (+) terminal. Connect BLACK jumper cable clamp to engine ground as close to the ground cable attaching point as possible.

CAUTION: Do not crank starter motor on disabled vehicle for more than 15 seconds, starter will overheat and could fail.

(6) Allow battery in disabled vehicle to charge to at least 12.4 volts (75% charge) before attempting to
start engine. If engine does not start within 15 seconds, stop cranking engine and allow starter to cool
(15 min.), before cranking again.

DISCONNECT CABLE CLAMPS AS FOLLOWS:
  • Disconnect BLACK cable clamp from engine ground on disabled vehicle.
  • When using a Booster vehicle, disconnect BLACK cable clamp from battery negative terminal. Disconnect RED cable clamp from battery positive terminal.
  • Disconnect RED cable clamp from battery positive terminal on disabled vehicle.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had VERY similar problems. Meter pegged to left, wouldnt start (got a clicking). Still dont know wtf it was. I pulled the alternator and battery..had both bench tested.. Both tested good multiple times. I cleaned off all the connections on the alternator, cleaned the battery posts and connections really good, hooked everything back up, and havent had the problem since. Everyone says the alternator is hard to get out but its not. Take your battery and battery box out, take off the front bracket that holds the alternator on and slip it out through the top. Took me about 30 minutes to get the alternator off completely.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate it guys. I'm good to go on the mechanic part I'm fairly seasoned (atv's/snowmobiles for 5 summers/winters+all the work on my YJ)

I'm just going to go grab the alternator and a nice wire brush and make sure I can return the alternator and try cleaning everything first.