Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

posi rear ends for 91 cherokee?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Talking posi rear ends for 91 cherokee?!

is there any axles front and back that i can get off of something else that will bolt right up to my 91 jeep cherokee? if so please tell me the best year and the best thing to take it out of i plan on getting a 4 1/2 inch lift sooner or later so they have to work with that to any ideas?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM

any one pleaSE?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

"posi" is a chevy/gm name......doubt if any of those would "bolt up" to the XJ.....other axle assemblies can be installed/modified but my guess is only another XJ axle will "bolt up".

Last edited by djb383; 10-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 PM

how will i know if i find one thats posi? i dont wanna go buy a axle thinking its what i want but really isnt
Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

nothing from another vehicle will "bolt up". just throw in lunchbox lockers front and rear and call it good
Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

"Posi" is simply chevy/gm's name for a limited slip (LSD) diff. There are 3 basic catagories of diffs: open, limited slip and locking, with numerous variations of the latter 2.

Last edited by djb383; 10-10-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM

so what i do to get want i want? and i cant by lockers to put in or i would i have lil money
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

U've got to know what u want 1st. I'd suggest u Google "traction enhanced differentials" and read up on the different types, what they do, pros & cons. How much traction do u want?........How much money do u have to spend? Here's a decent video demonstrating the 3 catagories of diffs. Again, there are numerous brands/types. Study up......pop quiz to follow.

Last edited by djb383; 10-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM

If you cant buy a lunchbox locker for your current axle you cant afford to buy a different axle with a locker, not even including modifying it to work

Maybe you would be interested in welding your spider gears if your trying to make your tires squeal or get through the mud
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0, rv cam, fresh rebuilt

the cheapest setup you can do is welded spiders, but its not gonna be good for the road. after that you can have a lunchbox locker which is a cheapo locker but most work descent. after that would be a LS (limited slip) aka Pois-traction. posi/LS will allow you to get better traction and drive on the road fine but its not as good as a real locker. a real locker is either air/electric controlled and allows you to fully lock both wheels together when you want. lockers are the best but the most expensive. If its a daily driver-get a LS/posi. if you have the money and are a hardcore offroader-get a locker. if your doing a budget build and its not gonna be on the street weld your spiders. personally i wouldnt recommend a lunchbox locker in my experience they have always been garbage and break-but its all up to you. an axle swap probably isnt going to be necessary or cheap- i would upgrade what you already have in your current setup. an axle swap involves mounting of shocks/coils/leas springs, sometimes driveshaft issues, lots of welding, and your gonna have to put on new brakes and also have to worry about wheel mounting-theres a lot more to an axle swap than there seems.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: Inline 6, 4.ol

Do some research before you start asking frequently asked questions. There are more threads on this website then I can count on different axle and locker/ limited slip setups... At least that way you will know what your asking for rather then expecting someone to give you a full run down.

Last edited by SuperGlue; 10-10-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

So, how a locker engauges determines if it's a real locker. If it's not a real locker then what is it???
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cherokeeon49s
the cheapest setup you can do is welded spiders, but its not gonna be good for the road. after that you can have a lunchbox locker which is a cheapo locker but most work descent. after that would be a LS (limited slip) aka Pois-traction. posi/LS will allow you to get better traction and drive on the road fine but its not as good as a real locker. a real locker is either air/electric controlled and allows you to fully lock both wheels together when you want. lockers are the best but the most expensive. If its a daily driver-get a LS/posi. if you have the money and are a hardcore offroader-get a locker. if your doing a budget build and its not gonna be on the street weld your spiders. personally i wouldnt recommend a lunchbox locker in my experience they have always been garbage and break-but its all up to you. an axle swap probably isnt going to be necessary or cheap- i would upgrade what you already have in your current setup. an axle swap involves mounting of shocks/coils/leas springs, sometimes driveshaft issues, lots of welding, and your gonna have to put on new brakes and also have to worry about wheel mounting-theres a lot more to an axle swap than there seems.

no a lunch box will be fine for most people. look at his avatar of course the tires on his xj wont like a lunch box locker, my dad has a lockrite thats 14 years old on 35 inch tires and has had no problems they are fine, just because your an idiot who side steps the clutch on your 40 inch tires to get up a ledge doesnt mean you need to bad mouth lunch box lockers and try to get everyone to buy a carrier replacement.

on the other hand a detroit will be stronger but some people cant afford them and a lunchbox will be just fine for those who dont have the luxury of an unlimited budget build

you need to use the search button a LOT more before asking obvious questions that are all over the internet.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Go find a ford 8.8 out of a ford explorer and buy it, plus buy this kit.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ine-p-186.html

The vast majority of 8.8 fords in the "exploders" had a limited slip differential.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Neckbreaker,

My XJ of choice is also a 91. If you are planning on a 4.5" lift I can tell you the biggest tire you can fit and 4wheel on without hacking your fenders up is a 32". This is the lift and tire size I originally had on my 91 XJ. For wheeling on anything short of Volkswagon sized boulders Your stock axles will work fine with the 4.5" lift and 32 or even 33" tires...even with lunchbox style lockers front and rear.
My current setup is 6.5" lift, 4.56 gears, Aussie "lunchbox" lockers and 33" Maxxis Bighorn tires. My Jeep has handled anything and everything I have ever pointed it at. I have a lot of witnesses to this in the PACNORWEST chapter of this very forum.
I got very lucky and scored a stock XJ D44 out of an 87 XJ and I changed to stock 95 XJ axle shafts for my front D30. By doing this you get (1 piece) axle shafts with the bigger and stronger 297 U-joints. You may want to do this too to eliminate the failure prone vacuum disconnect in your 91 XJs front axle. I wheeled mine with the disco and 2 piece longside axle until I broke it...it lasted about 5 years.
If you want real answers about a 91 XJ then feel free to PM a me, a real 91 XJ owner, anytime. I started with mine bone stock and I have made it what it is today through a lot of trial and testing.

Quick Reply: posi rear ends for 91 cherokee?!