Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

"Popping" noise after steering stabilizer install, extra hardware

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default "Popping" noise after steering stabilizer install, extra hardware

I just got done upgrading my steering stabilizer on my 98' xj to a Skyjacker Hydro 7000, and now sometimes when i make turns I get this "pop" that comes from the front end. Could I have possibly installed it wrong? Not sure how I would have though, I double checked everything. However, only after I completed the install did I notice that I forgot about a lock washer. Also, where would I have even put on said lock washer? Maybe on the tapered end that connects to the drag link? My OEM stabilizer didn't use one, so I have no idea as there were no instructions that came in the box. Thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Best thing you can do is have a buddy/wife/dad whatever turn the wheel left and right and see if anything is hitting or what is going on. If you have another buddy, have him jump on the bumper while turning wheel to simulate hitting a bump. Did you do anything else other than the steering stab? Stock steering or are you using one of the bolt on stab mounts? I don't see how the lack of a lock washer would cause a pop.

Ive had steering stabs hit in a few spots. Sometimes the tierod would skim the bottom of the new larger steering stab at a full right turn, sometimes the larger stab would hit my trackbar.

Last edited by Ianf406; 04-04-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Did you do anything else other than the steering stab? Stock steering or are you using one of the bolt on stab mounts?
I only changed the stab, and I'm still using stock mounting location.

I havent checked yet, but lets say the stabilizer is hitting the drag link or track bar (or something else), what could I do to fix the problem?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

It depends where its hitting. Is the skyjacker one larger than your stock one (diameter/thicker bushings/longer)?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

It is possible too that it is something else and the new steering stab is stiff enough to make it audible (tire rod ends etc).

I had a RC 2.2 stab and it always hit my tracbar when hitting a bump. It was just too big. Ended up replacing it with a Tenneco (stock sized) one and fixed that issue. Some of the aftermarket are too long/too short for the stock location on the stock steering and will hit at full turn either way there. Sometimes you can just adjust your castor abit and it will clear. I just drove that way with a slight pop on bumps/right amount of turn for awhile. Really only way to pin point the problem is to take a look. Having one buddy turn it and another buddy bounce on it will help a lot!

Last edited by Ianf406; 04-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
It depends where its hitting. Is the skyjacker one larger than your stock one (diameter/thicker bushings/longer)?
Its longer, larger diameter, and the bushings are much beefier. Its bigger in just about every way.