Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

please help, Jeep cherokee wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: strait 6
Default please help, Jeep cherokee wont start

I have a 2000 Jeep cherokee that will Crank but not start. the first thing I tried is shooting a little starter fluid in the intake trying to rule out a fuel problem, I also checked for fuel at the valve on the fuel rail fuel did shoot out. the car did not start.

second thing I tested is all the fuses in both the power distribution center and the pas. side box - all checked out good.

third thing i checked is the crank position sensor, (I have 2 jeeps and was able to replace with a known working part. this didnt fix the problem.

Fourth thing I tried is swapped in a known good coil rail which did not solve the problem, I also tested for spark by grounding a plug to the block and turned the jeep over, NO SPARK.

fifth thing i tried was the ASD Relay which seems to be working correctly, terminal 30 and 85 have power (which is the same reading i got from working jeep).

Sixth thing i tried was testing for power at the coil connector. on the green wire i get voltage, I can hear the ASD relay click as i stop cranking and the voltage goes away.

Seventh thing I tested the PCM by switching them into opposite cars, pcm started the second jeep for about three seconds (second jeep has security system) but the first jeep did not start.

at this point i'm having a hard time getting any more information on the starting system, I would like to know the different components that could cause this system to fail. I'm assuming now that there is a wiring/short issue as I've ruled out most of the major players. maybe someone can send me the diagnostics for this system. or wiring diagram. I purchased a mechanics manual from ebay and unfortunately it doesn't give any diagnostics only explains what each component does (seems kinda useless)

a little more info on the jeep, I have no codes firing except for p0140 which has been firing for a while, one of the other things i've done is replace or clean all the wires and contacts to and from the battery to the pdc, ground wires to the body, block etc.

this was my very first car and i've owned it over a decade, although I own other cars this one is special to me, any help getting it fixed would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you have power to the coil, but no spark at the plug?
Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

hope this helps you.
wife & myself are original owners of 1995 Cherokee Country Upland with nearing 400,000 original miles upon it. She daily drives this beloeved Jeep. We have been thru more- if not every- scenario that exists with the model and ironically had the very same issue just this past Sunday.
Unlike the old days, we didn't panic because we've been down this road before.
I have had a crank-no start and begun testing with the battery the CPS the compression, the fuel pressure relays, the starter and relay the injectors and the pre ODBII diagnostics that throw no blooming code whatsoever.

This weekend I didn't even get the multimeter out. I simply knew from experience that even tho it seemed like the battery was good, she - unlike myself - will spend $150 on a 500 CCA 12v auto battery with a one year warrenty . Sure it was trying to start. She professed it was just replaced and I said, " ike the last time you bought the $100-$150 dollar autozone battery?"

Monday she walked in the door from her coworker dropping her off with a brand new, better quality battery , I popped it in and the thing turns over.

case and point; even if the battery says it is sitting at around 11.25-11.75 volts when not powered , if it is a cheap battery it can even test good but not have the CCAs to turn a big 4.0 liter inline 6 with all accessories over.

I am not saying this is your issue but if you've done all you say and you are still getting a crank and spark and no codes at all except an 12( battery disconnected past 50 key cycles) and 55( end of codes) , it is likely the battery needs replacing. One of the most frustrating mid-90 era Cherokee issues that I find funny these days it is so vague.

Jeep On.

EDIT: I did not catch you were getting no spark at plug. Have you replaced the distributor cap and/or tested the plug wires? Does the coil then send to the primary wire running to center of distributor cap? there are test procedures for coil spark- no plug spark...my bad!

it still amazes me how you never hear of anyone replacing the battery which can be the cause 7 of 10 times, especially when it has gotten really cold after warming up climate wise.

Last edited by J3ff3ry_J33pst3r; 02-07-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/200...-start-233086/

This guy is having the same issue......

Multiple cries for help is going to get you less help.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you have power to the coil, but no spark at the plug?
Correct, I get 12-13 volts to the green striped wire while cranking, I can hear the ASD relay doing its thing which corresponds to the voltage I see at the coil harness. when i puled the coils and grounded to the block and turned over I did not get any spark.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/200...-start-233086/

This guy is having the same issue......

Multiple cries for help is going to get you less help.
you sure have plenty of time to be no help, here's a meme for you ..l..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by J3ff3ry_J33pst3r
hope this helps you.
wife & myself are original owners of 1995 Cherokee Country Upland with nearing 400,000 original miles upon it. She daily drives this beloeved Jeep. We have been thru more- if not every- scenario that exists with the model and ironically had the very same issue just this past Sunday.
Unlike the old days, we didn't panic because we've been down this road before.
I have had a crank-no start and begun testing with the battery the CPS the compression, the fuel pressure relays, the starter and relay the injectors and the pre ODBII diagnostics that throw no blooming code whatsoever.

This weekend I didn't even get the multimeter out. I simply knew from experience that even tho it seemed like the battery was good, she - unlike myself - will spend $150 on a 500 CCA 12v auto battery with a one year warrenty . Sure it was trying to start. She professed it was just replaced and I said, " ike the last time you bought the $100-$150 dollar autozone battery?"

Monday she walked in the door from her coworker dropping her off with a brand new, better quality battery , I popped it in and the thing turns over.

case and point; even if the battery says it is sitting at around 11.25-11.75 volts when not powered , if it is a cheap battery it can even test good but not have the CCAs to turn a big 4.0 liter inline 6 with all accessories over.

I am not saying this is your issue but if you've done all you say and you are still getting a crank and spark and no codes at all except an 12( battery disconnected past 50 key cycles) and 55( end of codes) , it is likely the battery needs replacing. One of the most frustrating mid-90 era Cherokee issues that I find funny these days it is so vague.

Jeep On.

thanks for the info, I agree a battery issue is so often hard to diagnose, I have a newer battery I can throw in there but I have had the battery on a starter charger most of the time i've been testing so i'm pretty sure i get plenty of juice.

EDIT: I did not catch you were getting no spark at plug. Have you replaced the distributor cap and/or tested the plug wires? Does the coil then send to the primary wire running to center of distributor cap? there are test procedures for coil spark- no plug spark...my bad!

it still amazes me how you never hear of anyone replacing the battery which can be the cause 7 of 10 times, especially when it has gotten really cold after warming up climate wise.
thanks for the info, I agree a battery issue is so often hard to diagnose, I have a newer battery I can throw in there but I have had the battery on a starter charger most of the time i've been testing so i'm pretty sure i get plenty of juice.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ

well you sure have memes but apparently no knowledge of the XJ ignition system. is this what you do all day?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

when i had a dragging starter it would barely crank, then start ive never had a battery fix a starting prob xcept if it didnt crank at all.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
when i had a dragging starter it would barely crank, then start ive never had a battery fix a starting prob xcept if it didnt crank at all.
thanks, yeah i'm pretty sure i've got plenty of juice.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by coreyt
well you sure have memes but apparently no knowledge of the XJ ignition system. is this what you do all day?
lol...

Jeepin is one of the the most knowledgeable members on here. I also agree with him. All you need is one thread.

don't get huffy haha
Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
lol...

Jeepin is one of the the most knowledgeable members on here. I also agree with him. All you need is one thread.

don't get huffy haha
man if you guys were this quick with helpful insights i might be somewhere by now.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by coreyt
man if you guys were this quick with helpful insights i might be somewhere by now.
Entirely possible. But you'd think multiple threads would produce similar results as well. Goodluck man hope you get it

Last edited by Martlor13; 02-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

It sounds as if you have plenty of power getting to the coil but then nothing at the spark plugs so I guess it is logical to assume the problem lies somewhere between those 2 points. If it was me I'd see if the power is going in the coil and then coming out the other side. If it is I'd follow the wire to it's next point and see if it's arriving there. If it is I'd continue on. At some point the power is going to stop before reaching the spark plugs. It will go into something but not come out the other side so to speak