Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default please help

hi i hope that someone can help me, im new to the forum and only been on once, this is my first cherokee jeep that i bought in feb mar this year and i love it and so does the wife, she,s the 1996 4.0 petrol auto ltd edition with full spec full service histery 82000. there has been no problems with her untill today ?.

the problem started with a flat battery, now the battery was renewed by my self when i bought her and everything has been fine, recharged the the battery and this is when things went odd, when you turn the key off the centre console screen that tells the time and when the next service is due stays on and then says two fog lights are out, which are all fine, if i turned the key to on and off sometimes it would shut the lights off but reset again, another few turns of the key would fix it but when started, it starts all over again, i tried this a few times thinking maybe a sticky relay. it then got worse, now when you start her you have got to put your foot on the gas as soon as you take your foot of the gas she dies,

please any help
regards rod
Old 10-07-2009, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

This is odd. i am wondering if all of these symtoms will lead to one problem. Or do you have multiple issues. Hopefully someone will help you out on this, i am not electrically smart
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Could be a combo of bad battery and or alternater not charging the system properly.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

i was also thinkin something along the lines of the alt.... maybe check all your fuses.... under the dash and under the hood....