Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Plasti Dip Bug Shield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Plasti Dip Bug Shield?

Well I realize there are threads especially for plasti dip, but I decided to make my own for this specific application. I was out in the yard fooling around and decided to do away with my exceptionally large bug deflector and try to make a "plasti dip bug shield" of sorts by plasti dipping my header panel and peeling the dip off of the Jeep logo letters. I sort of have mixed emotions about whether I like it. Any opinions? Better? Worse? Ehh..?
Attached Thumbnails Plasti Dip Bug Shield?-image-3862657113.jpg   Plasti Dip Bug Shield?-image-1387443503.jpg   Plasti Dip Bug Shield?-image-1291292347.jpg   Plasti Dip Bug Shield?-image-1042422227.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Year: 1996

I think it looks good. Plasti-Dip is some pretty crazy stuff. The good thing about it is if you dont like it you can just rip it right off. The stuff is pretty durable and I feel its a much cheaper alternative to a bug deflector. You can always redip as well as the rattle can plasti dip is pretty cheap imo.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Your bug deflector looks much bigger than mine. Was it the factory one? I've had mine so long i forgot it was even there till now. Lol

Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
Your bug deflector looks much bigger than mine. Was it the factory one? I've had mine so long i forgot it was even there till now. Lol
No mine wasn't factory but it was on the jeep when I bought it. I was planning on leaving it, but I had a bunch of friends and the ol lady telling me how bad it looked, so I gave this a shot.

I actually like that one on yours, much more normal looking!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by cahuffman49
No mine wasn't factory but it was on the jeep when I bought it. I was planning on leaving it, but I had a bunch of friends and the ol lady telling me how bad it looked, so I gave this a shot.

I actually like that one on yours, much more normal looking!
I never notice its there unless someone mentions it or i go to open the hood. Lol. I'm pretty sure mine is made by AVS, I got it to cover up some bad paint spots on the header panel.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb

I never notice its there unless someone mentions it or i go to open the hood. Lol. I'm pretty sure mine is made by AVS, I got it to cover up some bad paint spots on the header panel.
Yep, my header panel looks like hell so I knew I had to have something if I didn't leave the bug deflector on there.