Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pinion Nut Very Stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Pinion Nut Very Stuck!

I've tried everything to get my pinion nut off on my front axle. Ive sprayed it with Kroil, impacted it, heated it up, used a break bar, put the car jack under the breaker bar, I even made a yoke holder. So I'm wondering if theres some magical way to get around this? I'm replacing the whole yoke so it doesnt matter if it gets damaged. I'm trying to avoid going to a shop to see if they can get it off, maybe they have a stronger impact than mine? If a shop cant get it off then I'm probably looking at straight cutting the yoke off and getting a new pinion, no? If that turns out to be the case then thats something a shop would have to do, or is replacing the pinion easier then it sounds?

Any help or advice you guys have is greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mtbfreak612
I've tried everything to get my pinion nut off on my front axle. Ive sprayed it with Kroil, impacted it, heated it up, used a break bar, put the car jack under the breaker bar, I even made a yoke holder. So I'm wondering if theres some magical way to get around this? I'm replacing the whole yoke so it doesnt matter if it gets damaged. I'm trying to avoid going to a shop to see if they can get it off, maybe they have a stronger impact than mine? If a shop cant get it off then I'm probably looking at straight cutting the yoke off and getting a new pinion, no? If that turns out to be the case then thats something a shop would have to do, or is replacing the pinion easier then it sounds?

I would suggest a breaker bar with a 5 foot cheater bar.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I couldn't imagine the nut being that tight...

Replacing the pinion requires a new set of gears, install kit and then set-up the gears. You're talking 500 bucks if you have the shop do it.

I've never had one so stuck that I couldn't put a pipe wrench on the yoke and a 3/4" drive ratchet on the nut and spin it off. Sounds like you need more leverage. Heat the nut, not the pinion then try to spin it off with some major leverage.

Or just take the thing to a shop and have them break the nut loose.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Turning correct direction ...gotta ask...
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by freegdr
Turning correct direction ...gotta ask...
lefty is loosey on these right? it not a reverse thread is it? ill smack myself if it is
Old 06-22-2013, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

lefty is loosey on these right? it not a reverse thread is it? ill smack myself if it is
No normal thread.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: one guess

Any decent air driven impact gun should easily break it free.

And if heated properly it'll come off with ease. Propane won't get it hot enough, acetelyne tanks are what works to get stuff cherry red. I don't like to use extreme heat in some places as it weakens metal and stuff.

Last edited by mister k; 06-22-2013 at 03:25 PM.