Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Phantom Death Wobble/Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, L6
Default Phantom Death Wobble/Shaking

When driving at speed, usually above 50mph, my cherokee has started to shake and wobble. It isn't pulling the car apart, and it isn't consistent, but it's real scary when it starts. So far I haven't tested it, I've just slowed down until it stops.

This has coincided with a similar issue at zero speed. Twice now when I have started it up it starts shaking aggressively for a few moments, and has shut down twice from this. It also shakes during idle, but doesn't appear to be idling low.

First I replaced the throttle position sensor and cleaned out the throttle body. No change.

Second I checked the motor mounts, and they appear to be fine. They're the stock mounts, and all symptoms would seem to point to them, but I couldn't see any damage to the rubber at all. In hind sight I did not check the bolts themselves to see if they were loose.

I then checked the transmission mount, and that sucker is shot to hell. Rubber is all messed up. Next on my to do list is to replace it, obviously, but to that end I have two questions.

First, which transmission mount should I get? I am so done with excessive vibrations in this car (I'm aware that I'm driving a lifted cherokee and that this is wishful thinking) so I'm leaning away from stiffer polyurethane. Local auto parts store quoted me $95ish for a new one. Amazon has them as cheap as $25. Thoughts?

Second, does this explain all the symptoms? I haven't seen people describe this scenario when talking about bad transmission mounts.

I have heard some knocks from the driver's side front wheel, so I intend to check the various connections and joints there to see if maybe something is loose and causing the wobble at high speeds.

Last question while I'm here, unrelated: The rear dif howls right at 30mph, then stops right around 55-60. It's done that since I've owned it. I cleaned it out yesterday and found sludgy green oil with a ton of milky silver in it. Definitely metal shavings, but very small and I couldn't see any damage or chips the gear teeth. It still howls after a good cleaning.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-26-2016, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If the transmission mount is done, motor mounts can't be far behind.

I went with napa drive tech mounts. Love them. A lot better then the anchor mounts I tried before them.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sounds like your on the right track. Have you checked when bearings? Mine howled like that when they were going out