Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

performance/lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default performance/lift ?

just wondering what bolts on you guys feel make a difference and improve power, thinking about getting a header and exhaust for my 95 and a new air filter, anything else worth getting or are those even worth the money? Also i have a 3" pro comp lift on mine right now(was on when bought it, buddy said it came with all the do-dads like control arm drops and such) and im looking into getting 2" shackle and spacer lift. Will i run into any problem with brake lines being to short or anything like that. Also with the pro comp the spacer and cutouts would i be able to fit 33s, or would it be better to get 4.5 coils and add blocks on the rear(i know i have the pro comp leafs and not just the aal) any help is appropriated!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Bump I wanna start ordering stuff
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Don't bother with spacers in the front. Get full coils. Shackles in the back are great. yes get full steel braided brake lines. Don't wanna be out flexing and rip a line out.
So if your lookin at a total of 5" lift. Do you have SYE? You might run into issues there. TC drop?
Intakes are a waste of money on a jeep. K&N filter and your good. Your better off with hood vents.
I did a header and 2.5" exhaust pipping and muffler. That was worth the money. Don't expect much power gains. There's also bored out throttle body's and spacer. Those are worth the money.
If your not regeared. That's worth the money and you'll noticed more power back depending on your tire size and what tire size you'd like to be running in the future.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L

Hey man my 96 cherokee came with 3" lift and i put 3" spacers in from and back. cheep and easy. I just needed to buy new shocks and brake lines. also 33 fit in mine. might want to cut the finders
Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Hmmm yeah I figured as much with the performance stuff. I'd never get a cai on a off road vehicle. The reason I was gonna do shackles and spacers cuz I can get a set for pretty cheap from a buddy. So would I be worrying about the axle length and tc height. Can you just add on to the brake lines easily with these? Only vehicles I've felt with were old chevs with sfas
Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

I was gonna ask what kinda budget you are on. There are a few ways to tackle this.
I'm not a fan of spacers period. Shackles that are greasable is the way to go in the rear. I'd tell ya to stick with full coils in the front. Better ride and less noise.
I'm sure you can get brake extensions. But full braided will be better.
I don't know what's on your jeep. Is there a SYE and drive shafts? If not. I'm almost sure your have some issues there. TC drop might help, but wont really know until the rest of the lift is on. I couldn't imagine a 1" TC drop would hurt.
If your going to be up in the 5" of lift range. Is it safe to assume your thinking of larger tires? 32's or 33's? Stock gears will work. But gas and power goes down. If your lookin to regear. Think about 4.10 or 4.56 gears.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM

At the moment I'm not sure if it's a sye or not. My budget is low till the old lady says I can spend more lol. I just wanted to add a few inches for now and then get a full 6" kit down the road. I just got the jeep last night so I'm not sure what's on it atm when I get back from vacation I'm gonna go through it to find out what it all has
Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

This is what I did before I even touched my jeep. I broke out a pad of paper and pencil. Wrote down what I thought I'd be using the jeep for the most. Then wrote down things I'd like to try out (style of wheeling or certain adventures). Granted we can't predict the future, which is why you slightly over build. No need to go over the top and top of the line products if you don't need it.
Then broke the jeep up in sections. Suspension, Drive train, steering, performance, recovery/armor, cabin comforts, etc. Then started prioritizing each section.
have a game plan is essentially what I'm saying. These jeeps last forever. So buy the time your "done" building it. It'll be time to rebuild the motor. Which means STROKER time!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

X2, 07Negative is right, your gotta get organized or you'll end up putting good money after bad and having serious regrets. Having an end goal and an idea of what your jeep will look like and what it will be used for is crucial. Generally you want to start with armor and recovery so if you get stuck(it will happen), you or someone else can pull you out. It wouldn't be a good feeling to drop $5,000 on a rig only to have it go FUBAR when a rock destroys the rocker panel.

With proper cutting and trimming, you shouldn't have problems fitting 33's on that 3" lift. Theres guys running 35's on a 3" lift. Try to stay away from control arm drops and lift blocks, control arm drops get hung up on everything and lift blocks are really hard on your leaf springs. Seriously consider a long arm setup, especially if you going to 4.5". If your using shackles, consider a shackle relocation box too.

A word on your money situation: If your woman has the credit card, maybe you should try starting in areas she'll like or relate too...maybe a seat upgrade or see what she thinks about pulling the carpet and lining it with bed liner. Make her feel like they where her ideas and let her take credit. Basicly if you make it something she approves of, you might have better chances in the money dept. Also down the road you can use "her" improvements to distract her from the huge chunk of money missing from your retirement..LOLLOL

Oh ya, upgrading the exhaust will make huge improvements along with a new airbox/conefilter. If you have a thermostatic air valve, remove it. It will take a little longer to warm up, but they block so much air its retarded. I yanked the EGR system too(legal where I'm at) and had a noticable improvement. It gives you a power increase because the egr puts inert gases into the combustion stream at certain times, thereby reducing your effective displacement. EGR gone=full displacement utlized. Theres other parts of the emmisions systems you could yank, but my advice stops there, out of respect for the forum.

Last edited by EVcherokee; 07-01-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Hmmm makes sence. I'd like a few extra inches but don't need them, and seems likes it gonna cause problems. I pretty much now in the end I want about 6" with 33"s. I know I want to get some body armor and bumpers. Inside I don't care about cuz it just gonna be a 4x4/winter vehicle. And for performance I just want to be able to move those 33 without to much problems
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Lol I don't need to hide nothing cuz were not married(yet lol ) and I'm only 19. But I promised I'd pay my sled off before I go crazy into this rig bas far as extra spending goes each month I got about 500-1000 so I ahold be able to get it good by winter
Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

I wish I had a $500 a month Jeep budget! Swap out that crappy lift for something worth while. Do the steering and track bar. That really doesn't take that much dough. I think I dropped about 1500 which included drive shafts and SYE. Throw a locker in the rear. Where it can get expensive is the rims and tires. I think I dropped another 1500 just in rims and tires.
There's a few fellas on this forum that build some really nice bumpers. Look in the for sale section.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:56 PM

K deft something to think about. Shock company in ur opinion would be best bang for buck. I'm not going to be doing any crazy offroading just want it good for the occasionally muddibg trips and be able to run 33s. I already have a set of 33 thornbirds and cragar soft 8 s lying around from old rigs so I'm good there.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Sasq40
it just gonna be a 4x4/winter vehicle. And for performance I just want to be able to move those 33 without to much problems
Ok now we have some direction occasional mudbath/winter rig...Unless your pushing through thick unploughed snow, 3 " is fine. I'd concentrate on tires, brakes and charging/lighting systems for winter. A good winter tire can vary just like a good offroad tire. Things to ask yourself: Are you in a area where your gonna be rolling over fresh snow, plowed roads, ice, or a mix? Tire selection is a whole other subject...Do you have ABS?, if you do it might be a good time to move up to a dual diaphram booster if your going bigger on the rubber. If you know how to drive on snow and ice, ABS is your worse enemy! Regearing may be necessary too for 33's, depending on where your at now. Cold weather is hard on batteries, so they require the alternator to work a little more in the winter. A 140 amp CS144 out of a 95 chev impala V8 will fit with a little grinding or a CS130 136amp out of a zj will work too, but the CS144 is the superior alternator. Lighting demands are also greater in the winter...more hours of darkness, rain, snow and the hail your gonna have to see through. If your upgrading your alt. your gonna need to upgrade a few wires too, theres lots of write-ups on this. Good time to check your cooling system too, it also gives you heat. And the big one......

Armor/Recovery!!

If you DO know how to drive in the snow awesome! Unfortunatly most people are terrified of snow and spend an equal amount of time going sideways as they do going forward. Some sliders, bumpers and tube fenders will reduce the damage of being hit by a mini van greatly. All that steel strapped to each end will help the psi on your footprint too. Recovery points will make it easier for a buddy to pull you out and theres less risk of messing something up. If you gotta winch setup, you can most times pull yourself out..word of wisdom if you have a winch, do not pull anybody out unless you know them. If you hook up and start pulling and their vehicle is damaged(ever seen the youtube were the back of the civic is pulled off!?!), its your fault.....ok..unless she's cute, but get the sex first and give her a false name
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm no noobie to winter driver lol i had two 4x4 before this and all last year I ran a 2 wheel driver Colorado with studded tires and never had a problem bi already have a good set of winters for the jeep and for the most part winter will be on paved icy roads. And as far as the electronics part I got a bunch of lights in the garage from the last rig and know all about upgrading electrical compents( my truck has 4 ten type r with 2 1900 kinetics) so I'm covered with spare parts from that. Thanks for the info on the alt that's gonna make life much easier, easpucally when u add a winch into the mix bi have extra batteries around home and isolator so I'll be installing that right away. Where is gonna be the best place for Body amor, up here in Canada there's not much stuff up here for aftermarket parts. And as far as the winch thing, I ripped a bumper of a new chev with my old sonoma and just drove away before he could complain to much lol