Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PCV valve was removed for about 10k miles. Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default PCV valve was removed for about 10k miles. Bad?

I installed a CAI at least 10k miles ago and my buddy snapped my PCV valve line. To make amends, he bought me a filter to run off the PCV. I didn't think much of it. I was cleaning up under the hood the other day and I removed the filter and reran a line to just above my air filter.

I also changed my oil to full synth rotella. Naturally, I expected a bit more engine chatter.

There is a fair amount of chatter from the lower engine. It seems to be dying out a bit (it's only been 2 days since oil change and PCV repair). I know chatter is kind of normal at 160k miles and much is attributed to piston slap.

I read that not having the PCV installed can lead to excess pressure, namely oil leaks.

What damage could I have caused?
Can I use an oil additive to help any stressed components, if I can expect any?
I've read most additives are garbage and not worth the money.
I've read restore has positive effects, but as with most additives are as temporary as the oil you put them in.

As always, thanks.

Oh yeah -- the jeep runs strong. Stronger than ever with the new bored TB installed. I'd just like it to keep going. The rotella full syn might just be wigging me out.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

The 4.0Ls don't have PCV valves... are you talking about the forward CCV elbow that normally runs to the air filter?

If you at least had that breather filter on there you should be okay, provided it actually does filter crap out.

Regarding additives, a few people on here love Restore. Personally I'd try to find out WHERE the noise is coming from before trying to treat it. Grab a chunk of garden hose (redneck mechanic's stethescope) and listen around. It's quite possibly the lifters. Could also be a coincidence and something non-engine could be making noise (flex plate bolts)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Ccv, yessir
Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Oh yeah -- the jeep runs strong. Stronger than ever with the new bored TB installed. I'd just like it to keep going. The rotella full syn might just be wigging me out."

You will find that increasing power output & wear equals more repairs/shorter service life. If it rattles now, a couple more WOT runs may finish it off. It's just the price you pay for performance.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"Oh yeah -- the jeep runs strong. Stronger than ever with the new bored TB installed. I'd just like it to keep going. The rotella full syn might just be wigging me out."

You will find that increasing power output & wear equals more repairs/shorter service life. If it rattles now, a couple more WOT runs may finish it off. It's just the price you pay for performance.
Well I'm going to run her into the ground then!